Notices

This is going way to easy...

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One thing that will help keep me from slipping is the fact that I'm on anti depressant medication and it doesn't mix well with alcohol.. Honestly though, half my life I spent drinking and never once seriously tried to stop, and now that I've distanced my self from it this long I've got this "been there, done that" kind of feeling.. I'm just over it. All it did was drain me.. The party is over, time to grow up and get things done.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yeah that's one thing I've avoided so far is putting my self in social situations where temptation might occur.. That will be the true test though.. Being in a drinking environment and not drinking..
Just ease into it over time as you feel ready and if your gut tells you it would be uncomfortable, don't do it! I avoided being around alcohol completely for a month or two and now, after 2 1/2 years sober, I still turn down invitations - it's really not that much fun watching people get stupid, anyway. Being around social drinkers is no big deal - I just don't like it when alcohol is the main event.

Congratulations on 24 days - keep going strong!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think, or it has been my experience and that which I've observed in others,
that the struggle and difficulties in quitting come with a lack of conviction to quit. When one makes up their mind, and the change for the positive is fixed, it's amazing how much easier everything becomes. NOT to say it's a cakewalk because it is definitely not. Having used and knowing the "relief" (in quotes because it's false and temporary and usually causes more problems) found in our substances of choice, it can be quite tempting in times of stress or frustration or boredom etc to retreat to former ways. That's my word of caution for you as you embark on this new path. Keep focused and stay strong. And when times get tough, know to reach out for help. Easy as pie. (Making myself hungry here with these sweet food metaphors...time for lunch.)