Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you guys fall asleep with all the anxiety and cravings?

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I used to take ambiem, but now my doc has me on xanax and so far its worked the past few nights since being sober. I've always had sleeping probs though.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hate nights like that. Takes me forever to go to sleep. What I do is have a big glass of chocolate milk take a deep breath and focus on my breathing. I make up stories in my head and eventually I fall asleep. It gets wayyy better throughout your sobriety. I wish I could have Xanax but alas, an addiction is an addiction. lol
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish I had a good strategy for falling asleep. I watch movies and listen to music in bed on my laptop. It takes forever for me to pass out though
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Insomnia is really common in the first days after we stop drinking. It gets better in time and most people find that they sleep better than ever. Anxiety is a part of withdrawals, too. I felt so much calmer by the end of the first week of being sober.

Like you, I drank for years, and it just takes time for our brains/bodies to readjust, so be patient with yourself. It really does get better!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm on some medication that helps but i make sure that when i go to bed, i'm not worrying about anything. today's troubles are in the past and tomorrow's will come with the sunrise. until then, i am at peace and at rest. lol, Ragamuffin! i too make up stories in my head. i play a movie in my head and am constantly rewriting the script every night. it keeps me amused until i'm asleep. sometimes i read my Nook until my eyes are too heavy to keep them open anymore. i have woken up with my Nook still clutched in my hands! but by far the most important thing i've found is to not replay the day's worries or anticipate tomorrow's like i used to. you just have to let that go.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I try not to focus on it and let it happen if it happens. If I think about it too much i thinlk about it too much.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doctor has prescribed clonipin and I take a half when I am freaking out.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is an all natural product called "Mid Nite" that I get at the dollar store that works great for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I usually meditate before bed. Try looking up on youtube "guided meditation for sleep" , for me it helps a lot.

If im really restless i'll take a benadryl to help me fall asleep.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I just wait it out . Eventually i do fall asleep usually half an hour before i have to get up . I tend to sleep quite well the night after though, even though i'm not much good for work in the day .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember everyone that whats worked for you may not work, or may not be suitable for someone else.

It's a good idea to check with your Dr before you think about trying any of the medications mentioned here

D
Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exercise helps a lot of people sleep. I run and that helps. If you can, make your bedroom as dark and your bed as comfortable as possible. Reading at night might help. Get a copy of War and Peace or Moby Dick. Those tomes are dense and might just do the trick.

It gets better. Really!