Notices

Just what are the symptoms of Detox

Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just what are the symptoms of Detox

I am baffled. I have been sober for 5 days now. Yesterday I woke up at 5:00 am feeling peaceful and alert. The day proceeded to become unbearable. I went to the office and by 2:00 pm I was back where I started (without an actual hangover) Nervous, staring at the clock counting the MINUTES that I had made it without a drink. I dealt with 2 employees and thought I was going to start screaming. I nearly hung up on my CPA . He wanted to talk about the political debates. I just wanted to say I don't give a rats a-- about anything I am trying to stay sober. My family calls me and I don't pick up because I can't handle talking to them. I don't want to tell them I stopped drinking because I don't want to hear how I am supposed to be doing it or how I probably wont do it. I am the only living drunk in my family. I got home sober I felt like I had a bad flu. My legs were stiff, I could hardly climb the stairs, my whole body hurt. I felt like I had a fever. I took an Advil PM and a shower. Went to bed at 9:00 pm and slept until 9:00 am . I also have a very dry mouth. I am drinking lots of water. I never want to drink again. I feel nuts. Is this ok and how long will this last?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Yes! I was sore and dehydrated for awhile too. I think it's great that you are not dealing with anyone unless absolutely necessary. I didn't even answer the door for the first couple weeks. I didn't care who it was; I wasn't going to deal with it. "It's ME time".
I guess it varies as to how long it lasts. Depends on the person, how much you were drinking/using, etc etc. But it all means that you are healing and that is GOOD!! Keep going! You can do this.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Escapist, I have quit a couple times and for me I'm always an a-hole for a good week or better. Not on purpose but very, very short. I told my wife to excuse me, but I might not be myself for a little while and she understood. So to me, I can relate to what you are saying.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Escapist, great that you have got 5 days. If you have not read up about Post Acute Withdrawal, you might want to do so. The odd, somewhat unpleasant stuff lingers quite a while. It is the effect of your brain functioning without the alcohol ingestion periodically. Eventually it gets lots better, but you may have 3 months or longer with some of the symptoms. And it seems everyone is different. I saw gradual improvement and then a nice jump forward getting close to 3 months. But even with the PAWS, life was still better sober than when hungover or drunk. Lots of good wishes to you.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 5 days. Same here. I had the same aches and pains all over my body for a day or 2. Felt like I had run a marathon or something. And really dry mouth yesterday. I just kept hydrated. Keep it up!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing is hard, and I still have vivid memories of going through it.

The thing that kept me going, was knowing that I would never have to do it again.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Detox....
Just make sober time and asses afterwards..
When ur in it its hard to be objective.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It certainly sounds familiar to me - tho at 5 days it might just be flu - as drinkers, our immune systems take a beating...either way it will get better

This thread may be helpful to you to look at other peoples experiences escapist:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My muscles are not as sore now. It is around 4:00 pm and the crazies are here. Typically, this lasts for about 3 hours . I swear I have never been so conscious of time as I have this week. There are some physical changes in me that are better than they were 5 days ago. I do not feel energetic at all. I remember the last time (which was in 04) it seemed like I noticed feeling Good around 2 weeks. Who knows ? This time around I have the onset of menopause to contend with. I feel like I am in hell.