Notices

Is it normal to not be craving?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal to not be craving?

I'm only on 1 day of withdrawal, and normally crave around 3. I'm still not craving, and I was even right near the liqour store( I won't share the derogatory name I called it while driving by) and am finding myself getting more and more pissed with myself that I allowed myself to drink into so many blackouts. I have thought all day about all the horrible things I've done/said to my husband in the last two years, all while drunk. I literally feel like I don't deserve him. Oh also, is there such a thing as too much fluid? I've been downing water and 0 calorie powerade like crazy, so much that stomach is really poofy.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not everyone has withdrawls. Hopefully it will continue like that.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tara

Everyones different, even every detox was different for me.

Try not to get stuck too much in the past either - you're working to set things right now...not drinking is the first step

and I think it's technically possible to drink too much fluid but I have no idea what that limit would be - if you feel uneasy try to scale back a little and see if that helps

D
Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
and I think it's technically possible to drink too much fluid but I have no idea what that limit would be - if you feel uneasy try to scale back a little and see if that helps

D
It is possible. But from what I understand you'd really have to be physically forced to over hydrate. On your own your body will regulate itself.

Good luck! And it's awesome you're feeling so good!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only withdrawls I'm having today/still is rapid heart beat and slightly shaky hands now, but nothing like they were this morning. I know I can do this, and I have quite a ways to go!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tara ~ I don't have much in the way of cravings, either. Triggers are what seem to mess with me the most.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Everyone is different when it comes to urges and cravings. Even if you don't feel them at the moment try your best not to be complacent as they will come when you least expect them.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I yelled at the liquor store today too as I was driving by lol but it's because I was craving. Be grateful you aren't and hopefully it will stay that way. And try not to worry about the past. All you can work on is the now.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Tara ~ I don't have much in the way of cravings, either. Triggers are what seem to mess with me the most.
Same for me. If I can make a simple decision not to drink when the trigger arises, staying sober is easy. It doesn't feel like I need to dedicate energy to thinking about it unless a trigger comes up. So quitting has been both easier and more difficult than I thought. Some triggers are friends.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Symptoms are different for everyone. For me it was more extreme fatigue once a few days had past, and massive sugar cravings. Both have receded over time.

You can't undo the past, but you can make a better future for your marriage and you're on the right track
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i didn't crave my first 3 days or so after i quit 'cause, well, i'd just had alcohol a few days ago! i tended to get stuck in a 4-5 day cycle for a long time. by day 5 i was often back in the liquor store buying booze again. it was a real struggle for me for a long time to break through that. i'm glad you're feeling pretty good right now. keep working it one day at a time!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Cravings are a very different thing from withdrawal and dt's. A recovering alcoholic may have 'cravings' for the rest of their life.. but dt's & withdrawal are dangerous physical symptoms that to my understanding normally set in shortly after alcohol has worn off. Not everyone has put their body in that state of severity yet to even have to suffer them, but some do, & if they do they need immediate medical supervision. I don't understand why more crisis centers and medical facilities seem to not grasp that someone's life could be on the line, as I have seen some pretty blatent disregard by some "professionals" in those fields when it came to withdrawal. However, just wanted to point out that the two(cravings, withdrawal) are not the same.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it varies. From the various times I've quit, I don't remember any cravings on day 1. Actually, I think the time when I managed to stay quit for 6 hours, I probably did. So yes, the first time... Mostly they came later.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am now around 31-32 hours since last drink. Hands are slightly shaky(barely noticeable), and slight rapid heartbeat, but nothing like I was feeling yesterday. I'm hoping to do well in the 48-72 hour range.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Keep an eye on those withdrawal symptoms, heart rate going up and up is a big danger sign and needs medical attention immediately. Cravings on the other hand aren't anything more than thoughts and it is up to you to deal with them in a constructive way. It is only as difficult as you allow it to be because you are in charge here. Onward!