Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Can problem drinkers/ abusers alcoholics ever drink moderately?

Notices

Can problem drinkers/ abusers alcoholics ever drink moderately?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Differance between my wife and me. Wife is normal drinker.

She does not like the feeling after anything more than 2 glasses of wine. For me 2 glasses of wine is not even a good start.

Wife will leave a quarter glass of wine unfinished. For me that is alcohol abuse

Wife could not imagine why anyone would drink enough to have a hang over. Me there is no way you could have drank enough if you did not have a hangover

The list goes on and on. If you have to control it, it is out of control
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I know I can't moderate my drinking nor do I want to.

I feel normal now that I don't drink.

Normal drinkers don't have to work at or think about controlling their drinking.

What does your drinking history show you? What does that proven data tell you?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Lionhearted - here is what you posted less than one month ago.

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
Been in and out of recovery since march 12 managed to get 2 months then relapse, then another month then relapse, then recently I got 6 weeks then relapsed and now I had 3 weeks and relapsed. I can't live my life this way it's so painful, the drinking really is a progressive thing after 2 months I drink 1 bottle of wine and thats it all bets are off. My fiancé has lost faith in me and thinks iam always going to be like this sober a while then relapse and to be honest I think she might be right, I get to a point where I get so worked up that drink seems the answer, I continually have this obsession that I will be able to control it this time!!! I am starting to feel that I can only stay sober 2 months then I get so unhappy because I can't drink or the last spree seems not so bad. Iam unhappy in recovery and unhappy drinking!!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Differance between my wife and me. Wife is normal drinker.

She does not like the feeling after anything more than 2 glasses of wine. For me 2 glasses of wine is not even a good start.

Wife will leave a quarter glass of wine unfinished. For me that is alcohol abuse

Wife could not imagine why anyone would drink enough to have a hang over. Me there is no way you could have drank enough if you did not have a hangover

The list goes on and on. If you have to control it, it is out of control
Perfectly well said MIR
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
We all deserve respect & love

"Also don't non alcoholics do just that,control there drinks! why would controlling something be non enjoyable??"

Simple. They are not alcoholics & can enjoy moderation. They are not fighting an addictive inner spirit which takes over logical thinking which is what alcoholics have to deal with on a daily basis.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

moderation is the dream of the drinker who has not given up the fight with alcohol. give up, admit you are powerless against alcohol and stop trying to control that first drink. stop fighting with it and commit yourself fully to not drinking that first drink. you don't have a problem with the third or sixth or tenth drink. you have a problem with the first one. until you realize that, you will continue to chase after moderation and feel unfulfilled.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Wow, PaperDolls. Only one word comes to mind:

PWNED.

I only say this because my addiction, too, lies to me and tells me I don't have an addiction and THIS time I will be able to handle/moderate because g-damnit I am me and I'm amazing and unique and just give me more time and I WILL find that magical way to do so!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by backtolifeforme View Post
"Also don't non alcoholics do just that,control there drinks! why would controlling something be non enjoyable??"

Simple. They are not alcoholics & can enjoy moderation. They are not fighting an addictive inner spirit which takes over logical thinking which is what alcoholics have to deal with on a daily basis.
I have analyzed my wife since I have been sober. She simply does like to feel an altered state of consciousness. It make her feel not herself but for me that is exactly what I am shooting for. I want to feel that I am not myself.

That is the differance
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
moderation is the dream of the drinker who has not given up the fight with alcohol. give up, admit you are powerless against alcohol and stop trying to control that first drink. stop fighting with it and commit yourself fully to not drinking that first drink. you don't have a problem with the third or sixth or tenth drink. you have a problem with the first one. until you realize that, you will continue to chase after moderation and feel unfulfilled.
I really think this is ridiculous. Nobody is powerless. If you have the discipline to not drink, then you have the discipline to stop after 2 or 3.

I've gone from 3 to 4 pints of beer every day to 2 or 3 pints twice per week. Yes sometimes I want more but stop myself. I like being in control, I like waking up clear headed 5x per week and I also like have a few pints of beer. I enjoy beer both the taste and feeling and have no intention of stopping.

I went from problem drinker to moderate drinker and I'm very happy. It can be done. I hate the AA "I'm helpless" BS.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Thank you all so much guys!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Zimmmy, that is almost a fair thing to say. I do notice that you didn't use the word alcoholic tho. Only problem drinker. I believe that post was referring to those who consider themselves alcoholics.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Some great advice here!!!!
Hits home with me and I know I'm AM listening.
OC
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Zimmmy, that is almost a fair thing to say. I do notice that you didn't use the word alcoholic tho. Only problem drinker. I believe that post was referring to those who consider themselves alcoholics.
Define alcoholic. A daily 3 or 4 pints of 6.5% beer caused problems in my life. The highlight of my day was looking forward to drinking beer and smoking weed.

I asked this forum if I was an alcoholic and most said that since I'm here and was asking, then I am.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I really think this is ridiculous. Nobody is powerless. If you have the discipline to not drink, then you have the discipline to stop after 2 or 3.

I've gone from 3 to 4 pints of beer every day to 2 or 3 pints twice per week. Yes sometimes I want more but stop myself. I like being in control, I like waking up clear headed 5x per week and I also like have a few pints of beer. I enjoy beer both the taste and feeling and have no intention of stopping.

I went from problem drinker to moderate drinker and I'm very happy. It can be done. I hate the AA "I'm helpless" BS.
That is wonderful! Come back in a year and give us an update on your controlled drinking. A month of controlled drinking proves nothing either pro or con. Being able to control our drinking either through moderation or abstinence is a life time commitment
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
We all deserve respect & love

There's a difference between alcoholism & alcohol abuse. It sounds like you experienced the latter.

What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a problem drinker/alcoholic/alcohol abuser and I could never moderate. The whole point of drinking was to get blasted so what good was one or two drinks? It ran me ragged trying to moderate and now that I've given it up altogether I feel a great relief from not having to 'control' my drinking. Besides, I didn't control my drinking, rather, my drinking controlled me.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by backtolifeforme View Post
There's a difference between alcoholism & alcohol abuse. It sounds like you experienced the latter.

What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
Perhaps. I'm not sure there is much a difference. It's a matter of degree. Can you explain the difference?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I define myself as an alcoholic who is someone who has an insane obsession or urge to drink combined with the inability to "control" how much they do once they begin.

This is the big book's definition. The allergy of the body (inability to stop) and obsession of the mind (craving).
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was a problem drinker/alcoholic/alcohol abuser and I could never moderate. The whole point of drinking was to get blasted so what good was one or two drinks? It ran me ragged trying to moderate and now that I've given it up altogether I feel a great relief from not having to 'control' my drinking. Besides, I didn't control my drinking, rather, my drinking controlled me.
I never wanted to get "blasted". For me the ideal feeling is a bong hit and 2 pints of beer. The reason I kept drinking beyond that is I wanted to keep that feeling going. I learned that more drinking won't keep that feeling sustained. It will cause me to feel like crap the next day and getting drunker wasn't worth it.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
I define myself as an alcoholic who is someone who has an insane obsession or urge to drink combined with the inability to "control" how much they do once they begin.

This is the big book's definition. The allergy of the body (inability to stop) and obsession of the mind (craving).
I don't understand this "allergy" and "inability to stop". Are you saying an alcoholic has absolutely no free will? 1 drink leads to continued drinking until to black out?

I think many alcoholics overdrink but still have some ability to shut it down. That shut down point might be 2 bottles of wine and that's too much.