SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 starts today!!! :) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/271525-day-1-starts-today.html)

taramaree 10-18-2012 04:07 AM

Day 1 starts today!!! :)

Hello! I hope I'm posting this correctly. Please forgive mistakes while I figure the site out. :) Here goes... I'm Tara, I just turned 26, and have been drinking alcohol for 2 years. After hitting rock bottom a week ago, I decided to stop. I have been drinking anywhere from a 1/2 pint- 1 pint vodka daily for 2 years. The most I've gone without it is 2 days. Withdraw for me (atleast the two days) consists of shaky hands, rapid heartbeat, nightmares, insomnia, all pretty normal from what I've seen. I go to a family Dr at 9 am this morning to try to get a 5 day detox( I don't have a regular dr, so I just made a random appt somewhere). If he declines, I'm going at this cold turkey, and scared ******** of everything I've read on the net regarding DT'S and hallucinations. I'm not a religious person, but lately I've been praying and praying to get through this. I know that my husband and 2 lovely daughters deserve more than a passed out drunk, who has put on 50 pounds in 2 years. I want to be healthy and alcohol free, and it starts today!!! Please wish me luck.

Natom 10-18-2012 04:13 AM

Hey Tara,

Congratulations on deciding to forge a new way of life. It's a good idea that you see a doctor about any possible withdrawal symptoms. Welcome to the forums. People do get better. You can get better too. Take it slow and one day at a time. Have you considered going to any AA meetings? If not do you have a support network in place yet?

Natom.

BruceJ 10-18-2012 04:23 AM

Welcome to a wonderful way of life Tara.
You'll probably find a few rough bumps along the way but, stick it out and you'll find the good just keeps getting better and better.
Prayers you way

instant 10-18-2012 04:23 AM

welcome Tara. My life is so much better sober- it can be a bit rugged initially but hang in there and keep posting

taramaree 10-18-2012 04:26 AM

Thank you. Yes, I have an amazing support group. My husband's Stepdad is a 20 year old recovering alcoholic, former AA member. He tells me he was drinking 3 cases of beer(24 pack) in a 24 hour period, and still went cold turkey, so I'm praying to god I can do the same. The desire to drink is no longer here for me, I want the old Tara back, as well as my family back, and I know to do that, I must stop drinking. My husband will be with me all weekend in case there are any issues. I know that tonight, I'll be up most of the night because of no drinking, and super tired tomorrow. But I am ready!!

Dee74 10-18-2012 04:47 AM

Hi and welcome Tara :)

You'll find a ton of support here - best wishes for your appointment today - let us know how you get on :)

D

Rubysoho 10-18-2012 04:52 AM

GOOD LUCK!!! If you put your mind to it, you can totally do it. Check out support networks in your area, are there any AA meetings? Come back to this site regularly, it's a godsend!!
Good luck!

missingtheoldme 10-18-2012 05:04 AM

Hi Tara....you actually brought tears to my eyes when I read your post. I was you 18 days ago. I was drinking near 2 pints a day and have been an alcoholic for over 20 years. As of late things got much much worse. But I created a profile just like you did and here I am today...sober and healthier. You came to the right place...keep coming here, read, post, chat in the chat room whatever you need to do to make it easier. It is wonderful that you have great support and a FIL that knows all too well about what you are going through. You can do this and I felt your want. Like you I was done. Good luck with your appointment and please keep us posted. We are all here to help each other. Congratulations on your decision to live a better life for both yourself and your family. hugs

taramaree 10-18-2012 05:14 AM

Congrats on 18 days missingtheoldme!!! Did you go cold turkey if I can ask? (You can private message me if you want) I have the willpower, I know I'm done, but I'm so scared of dt's or crazy hallucinations. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I suffer with anxiety anyways, even without alcohol. I've actually been reading on this site for a week, and I love it already. Truly inspiring stories everyone!

Delilah1 10-18-2012 09:40 PM

Welcome Taramaree!

I hope today went well. I made the same decision you did one week ago tonight as I was finishing up a large bottle of wine. I made an appointment last Friday and the doctor gave me a prescription to help with withdrawals. I too suffer from anxiety, and know I can't take that medicine at the same time. I have weaned myself from the prescription from withdrawals, and still have medicine to help with the anxiety.

I am only seven days in, but I was in a dark place one week ago tonight. Congratulations on your decision to be healthy.