SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It's 5 am I'm awake (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/271524-its-5-am-im-awake.html)

escapist 10-18-2012 02:53 AM

It's 5 am I'm awake

I am wide awake but not jittery or sick. My stomach is not in knots. Wow. This is cool. I am not drunk. I have to go to work today. I am so scared I will blow it. These past few days have been total misery. I can't throw away what I have started. When I come home tonight I want to be sober. Right now I am at peace. How can I keep this going?

YVRguy 10-18-2012 02:57 AM

Don't drink alcohol. Easier said than done. Do you have a plan for sobriety? I found most big changes need some kind of plan but that's just MHO

sugarbear1 10-18-2012 03:03 AM

Prayer?

Dee74 10-18-2012 03:14 AM

In the beginning I made a daily commitment to stay sober that day.
It was a reasonable, achievable goal.

It worked for me.

There's always support here when you need it, escapist. :)

D

Obladi 10-18-2012 03:17 AM

My two cents:

Push the fear aside and decide.

If there is any alcohol in your home, get rid of it before you leave for work, then decide you will not purchase any more.

Then put the thoughts aside, but realize that they may come up again during the day.
When that happens, remember the feeling you had waking up this morning. Go home, don't drink. Watch tv all night, or bake cookies or needlepoint or clean your closet or hang out here or take a long bath or just go to bed.

I'm talking to both of us here. :)
It is SO much better to wake up without regret (not to mention without withdrawl symptoms/the hangover!).
How could we not want this every single day?

Ladybone 10-18-2012 03:29 AM

I woke up early too and thought 'I would never be up at this time if I were hungover'.

You won't blow it, be positive. Don't let your addiction define you!

I have been exercising to tire the anxiety. (Wii Fit, nothing outrageous)

Good luck today!!!

waynemali 10-18-2012 11:16 AM

Hi escapist

I choose now to wake at 5.30 stick my iPod on & walk for an hour, personally I walk with God, but just walk to do something,as trying to get back to sleep at that time can be more stressful, get up n walk with the sun rise.

I did the Wii fit thing lost weight etc, but I love my morning walk now, 29 weeks for me today, so keep go going strong.

I write a lot now also, started a Blog a few weeks ago to chart my journey, PM for detail should wish to read it.

Stay strong.

Anna 10-18-2012 11:22 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better, Escapist.

Like Wayne, walking is a foundation of my recovery. I started in Week 1, right after supper, which was a difficult time for me. I thought it would take my mind off drinking. It did, and it did so much more. I started paying attention to my neighborhood and its beauty. I became fit and strong. Often my husband comes with me and we talk without distraction from cell phones, etc.