Notices

Alcohol withdrawal and what to expect?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal and what to expect?

This will be my first time going through full out alcohol withdrawal and I really have no idea what to expect. I have been drinking 8 beers a day for 5 days a week for the last 8 months. The two days I don't drink are Monday and Thursday so I have never gone 2 days in a row without drinking. The days I go without drinking I have bad anxiety, cravings, sensitivity to light, headaches, and the worst nightmares you could imagine. Before I was drinking 8 beers a day I was binge drinking 25 drinks every other day for about 2 years; therefore, I've been heavily drinking for about 3 years. I currently work in at a hospital 2 days a week(sober) and have lots of patients that are going through alcohol withdrawal and it terrifies me that my withdrawal may be as severe bad as theirs. Most people going through withdrawal say they have 5-6 drinks a day but I'm assuming they are not honest. So basically I would like to know if anyone has drank similar amounts as me and developed alcohol withdrawal delirium, shakes, hallucinations, and how bad anxiety, cravings, nightmares, and headaches got? Also any tips on getting through cravings and especially social events will be graciously appreciated. Like does drinking the .5% alcohol beers work without starting the I just need one more thing?

I think I will also post on here my withdrawal symptoms for every day because they may be helpful to other people like me.

DAY 1: Mild/Medium Anxiety, Nervousness, Cravings, Loss of appetite, and mild headaches lasting a few minutes.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Jay!! You may find this thread helpful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Physical withdrawal usually lasts a week or less, three to five days seems to be the norm. If you have any severe symptoms please see a doctor or go to the ER immediately. Alcohol w/d can be dangerous sometimes. Please be safe.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for about 4 or 5 days youll experience what you already have on day 1. you might be feeling a lil down, or anxious, or queasy but youll be all good in no time!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I think that withdrawl symptoms will vary from person to person so it's always good to be very cautious and talk to your dr. As far as drinking light beer - it still has alcohol in it, and it continues to reinforce the habit of the beer glass and taste, so it's not okay, in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Anxiety, nervousness and headaches aren't really the issue, you can live through that. It's spikes in blood pressure and the possibility of a stroke that always worried me.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 10 and ITCHING like crazy!! Anyone else?

This has been the only change in my body I've experienced and I've read that it can be a withdrawl symptom. I haven't changed my soaps, foods or meds or been into any poison ivy/weeds etc.

Anyone else ever experience the itcy hives after quitting? If so, how long after quitting did it start and how long did it continue??
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If this is really worrying you, I recommend you see a Dr, riskblossom.

D