Notices

stolen from reddit: A Few Things About Drunk Me

Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

stolen from reddit: A Few Things About Drunk Me

i found this thread and really liked what the author had to say...

Man, all drunk me ever does is stagger around the house bellowing old sea shanties before throwing up all over her bass. (Drunk me is why I don't drink to excess anymore).

Levity aside, I understand what you're saying. When I was in college, I never drank, and I always secretly envied those who did, because they seemed to be having so much fun. I didn't understand it: they would say things that were either nonsensical or completely obvious, and everyone would roar with laughter and slur something about how hilarious it was. They would flirt and simper with all the subtlety of elephants, and the drunken targets of their affection would lap it up. And I just sat there, sober, shaking my head.

But as time went on, and I started experimenting a bit with alcohol myself, I learned some of the truth that lurks in the bottle. Simply put: a drunk person is only funny/sexy/endearing to other drunk people; a sober person can be funny and sexy and endearing to anyone.

Drinking doesn't change who you are. It doesn't make you funny or sexy. All it does is weaken your inhibitions, stripping away the filters that normally separate thoughts from actions. If sober you is witty but shy, drunk you might become the life of the party by voicing all those witty, formerly-private thoughts. If sober you is a passionately sensual creature held back by insecurity about her appearance, drunk you might march out onto the dance floor to flaunt her body to anyone who wants to watch.

But in both of those cases, drunk you is still you. You're still doing the things you want to do; you're just doing them under the influence of drugs, which makes it easier. Being drunk gives you an excuse: if you go too far, you can laugh it off. "Yeah, sorry, I was so wasted I didn't even know what I was doing!"

Drinking is easy. Being an awesome person while drinking is also easy, especially if everyone around you is drinking too. The real challenge, though, is learning how to be awesome without relying on alcohol (or other drugs). Anyone can shake their ass when they're drunk, but it takes a lot of confidence and positive body image to do it sober.

Don't envy drunk you; learn from her. Let her show you how you want to be, then figure out how you can incorporate that into your sober life. Does drunk you get the crowd laughing by shouting out jokes? Maybe that's a sign that sober you is too meek, and lets people talk over her, so start being more assertive in conversations. Does drunk you enthrall people with her stories? They're your stories, even when you're sober; volunteer them more often!

Drunk you may be funny and sexy and endearing, but she's just a cartoon. She's an exaggerated version of you, a caricature, all zany big lips and anime eyes.

Sober you, though? She's the portrait. And she's beautiful.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

This is great, thanks for the share! (lol read the comments below her post for a laugh) Once when I quit for 2 months and started again a close friend said something along the lines of "now that you're back"...I didn't go anywhere, but she had lost a drinking buddy and was glad to have me "back". I feel like I'm better person sober so it was weird to be "missed" as a drinker. Author does have a good point though that what people like about you drinking is right there inside when you're sober.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think this is a great piece! Thanks for posting!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drunk me, is tired and unproductive....giving up on all enjoyed evening activities.....oh and you can add a big dose of depression too!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have also had friends say they "miss me" when I am not drinking. It makes it kind of hard because sometimes I miss that me, but reading this is actually really awesome. Because over the past few years I kind of have started to realize that I can be pretty cool without drinking (something I didn't know until my early-mid twenties). And I have realized that I can actually be really, REALLY un-cool when I am drinking. Now I just need to keep myself being sober self and I can work on being awesome again.