Notices

Starting Detox Today

Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Detox Today

Hello,

I hope today is the first day of the rest of my life clean. If not I will die trying. Here is my story. My occupation at one time was a firefighter. This was so much more than a job. I lived for the job. Two days after 9/11 my team was called to ground zero. We spent four weeks pulling body parts out of debri. It put my life in perspective. 6 years later I was injured in the line of duty when the firetruck I was responding in rolled over. I broke my neck, back, both hips. Doctors said my career was over and I would be lucky to ever walk again. It took some time but I now get along just fine. As a result to all this I am now addicted to Roxicodine. I've been on it for 6 years now. Today feeling defeated I said I had enough. No more pain medication. I am sick and tired of being a prisoner of the medication. Worrying about having enough medication to get me through, not being able to plan a trip unless I have enough medication to get me through. I've seen a lot of bad things in my life. I've been in some scarry situations but I've never been more scared than I am right now. I have to get through this. For my family, for me. If I can't kick it then I don't want to go on. I have never been more ashamed of what I have become. I came across this forum after I googled 'how long does detox last. Seems to be a wide variety of answers. Either way I am glad that I found this place. I hope with a little support I can make it through. I've also started a diary today so I can record what I am going through and how I am feeling. Who knows maybe it will help someone some day. It sucks to have to meet people under these circumstances but I am glad you are here. Here's to a fresh start...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Good for you & welcome.
There is a lot of support, advice & information here for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. It might be a good idea to talk to the dr who is prescribing the drugs about stopping them. I have no specific information to give you, but I know you will find support here.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both. It's been a long time coming. I hope I can get through this. Any ideas on how long it will last? I've been on it for six years now. Roxi about 500 mg a day.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdbradleyjr View Post
I have never been more ashamed of what I have become.
I can't imagine anyone here looking down on you. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! You acted selflessly in the line of duty and the fates tossed you a bum deal. I'm proud of you.

I'm going to detox soon for alcohol. I've done it once before. It was annoying, but not at all painful. I suffered no withdrawals. I was clean as a whistle when I walked out of that hospital. After a stretch I went back to 2 beers a day and now 15 months later I'm back to where I was. If anyone's got anything to be ashamed of it's me.

Your situation is completely different and I wouldn't begin to advise you on it. If you can't find information here, I'm sure you can find it elsewhere on the web, as well as a support group.

Does this mean you're going to have to live the rest of your life in pain? I value you putting your life on the line to save others. I have no doubt that your friends and family feel the same.

I'm not going to tell you it's all going to be OK because I have no idea what's involved or what the specifics of your recovery after the original dismal prognosis has been. I don't want to dredge up stuff that I'm sure is very painful. Just know that you are valued.

Do you feel like a burden to others? I can't say for sure, but I bet they don't see it that way. Perhaps you can find a forum dealing with people in a similar situation as yours and a thread dealing with that topic.

Best of luck.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome rd!

The support here helped me get through those tough first days after I stopped drinking. I'm glad you reached out - it's hard to break any kind of addiction on our own.

You may want to check out the Substance Abuse section here as well to see what others have gone through. There's a policy here against giving medical advice because everyone's withdrawal and recovery are unique. Like Anna said, talking to your doctor would be a really good idea.

Here's the link to the Substance Abuse forum:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Stick around for lots of support/info...... Glad you're here!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome rd, and good on you for seeing what needs to be done, and doing it.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow..this is already hard and it's only day one...glad I got rid of all the stuff.