Notices

Dr Drew Rehab show

Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr Drew Rehab show

I have been watching this show and it is some good stuff. For us newcomers and aso oldtimers alike. I like what he had to say. Sometimes it is like free therapy.

It is on vh1. I dont know what time because I dvr it. Check it out.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Very true

Sometimes it is like free therapy
So is a AA meeting.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Is it the Celebrity Rehab show or another one?

I like some of his stuff.. I disagree with a lot of it, but I do like watching those shows sometimes.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I often get to go to a 12 step rehab and do some voluntary work. It probably benefits me a lot more than it benefits any of the people I end up working with.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This one is not celebrities.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Is it the Celebrity Rehab show or another one?

I like some of his stuff.. I disagree with a lot of it, but I do like watching those shows sometimes.
I don't think it has true celebrities anymore. The last one I watched was pretty interesting. Didn't seem fake and definitely not people I know as a celebrity. If the people are trying to make a celebrity out of themselves from that show, I can tell you that I can't remember their names to even contribute to their stardom.

I find his therapy part of the shows very interesting. I can do without watching drama and fighting because I'm not a reality show kind of person.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, I'm watching and I think it's really good. I like that its "regular" people this season.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I know some folks like that sort of show, but I find it morally repugnant to show sick, suffering people on TV for the entertainment value and to line the pockets of advertisers.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was actually watching that show telling myself I needed to stop drinking. I think I am a few episodes behind, need to get caught up!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Just read this article today about Will Smith.

Rehab's Tough Guy | The Fix
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't feel it's exploitive. I think anything that educates the public about addiction is a good thing.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I watch it and I do feel like I get something out of it. But that's just me.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Just read this article today about Will Smith.

Rehab's Tough Guy | The Fix
Interesting charactor....I like his advice for getting sober...Sounds like what they gave me in rehab.

What advice would you give to people in recovery or looking to get sober?

The biggest thing to do first is to get out of yourself for 30 seconds. Think about the fact that you found a solution to your problems. Then it’s simply a matter of doing the steps and getting a sponsor. I’ve also found that helping others by going to meetings is the elixir. When you’re sober early on, you’re doing things for no reason other than that you’re scared to revert back to old ways if you don’t. The process of sobriety takes time and keeps getting better. Life does not necessarily change when you get sober. You’ll find yourself in situations but what changes is how you view them.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i've watched this show for several years. i like both celebrity and the regular people.
i get something out of it even with the celebrities..... addiction is addiction.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't have much respect for Dr Drew. He is one of those doctors that just want to get rich and famous same as Dr. Phil, Dr, OZ and DOCTORS show. 3 out of the 48 celebrities on the show has die. Not Drew's fault but the show is more about Drew it self then helping the celebrities on the show. If you really need help then you wouldn't go on a show to show the world how bad your life have become with your addiction.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love this show and Dr Drew. I remember him back to love lines in the 90's. Good stuff!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's very simple; what is the motive of the show? Television is either to entertain or educate, look at the way this show is presented, what does that tell you? From the few times I've seen the show they try to hook you, before the show begins, before commercial breaks, it's drama, it's tears, it's meltdowns!

Is Dr. Drew a fraud? Is he out there egging people on, trying to start conflicts for the sake of generating drama for the screen? I don't think so, if he is he's REALLY damn good at doing it in a non obvious way, but I don't think he's doing that. He seems to have good intentions, and there probably is some good information on the show. That being said, at the end of the day I still feel that it's being marketed as entertainment, and that feels wrong. This is not entertainment, when I'm sitting there on the couch, I'm not itching my brain to learn about addiction, I'm waiting to see that lady storm out of the room that they showed before the commercial break. That's the point; I can't help but feel that it's for all the wrong reasons, this isn't Nova, it's reality TV.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I understand what y'all are saying, but I identify with alcoholics/addicts, so if they are on Tv, I watch them. I doubt I would if I was normal though.