Notices

Have you told anyone?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Had to tell everyone, and they were damned glad to hear it, lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have told very few people!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

After I cleared a few weeks, I told my Pastor. He knew I had a problem. I then told my friend that was a drinking friend of mine since it was at an event where I would normally drink. I just told him I wasn't drinking at the time. 2 months later I told him why. Told my friend/neighbor 2 months ago. Finally told my other neighbor that used to have me over for beer on weekends. Don't need to really tell my family since they didn't know.

I think it is important to let people know that you aren't drinking if they are people you drink with. Other than that, it is really up to you.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was watching the Sopranos one day and one of the characters gets cancer and wanted it kept a secret. He said that as soon as people know they get that look in their eye and start to treat you like you're already dead.

I don't tell people because they would see me in a different way if they knew. Are my eyes red because I've been drinking? Am I sleeping in late because I'm hungover? Every time I act differently they'll jump to conclusions, every time I call in sick there may be the lingering doubt that I've gone back to old habits.

My drug use was a secret, and the extent of my drinking was not known to the family. My friends knew because I drank and used with them all the time, but as far as family and coworkers go, nope, I keep that to myself, it's really not their business, and most people won't understand anyways.