Notices

starting day 8!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

starting day 8!

i've made it through 7 days YEAH!!! it's been super hard to do i'm just going day by day..my question is i still get those moments of anxiety and my dark side saying just have a drink it'll be fine i've been working through that but i'm still so tired i haven't got any energy back yet. i could just sit in the chair watch tv and nap all day..please tell me this gets better i'm proud i haven't drank but also haven't got anything around the house done either
Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Great stuff on your 7 days. Yes it does get better- by spades. Give it time.

For me I am still in the process of unwinding 25 years of drinking. But life is immeasurably better.

Re those nagging thoughts- I might help to read about AVRT if you have not done so- the short course is likely to still be available free at Rational Recovery. But in short a part of us wants to drink irrespective of consequences- it is an addiction afterall.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being emotionally and physically up and down at first is quite normal. Your energy should come back, just don't drink and treat yourself well: good food, rest, and as much exercise as you can tolerate.

Congrats on a week sober!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations krs - yes they get better - probably not at the speed we;d like...but they do inevitably get better

D
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I say embrace the laziness. Your better off sober and lazy than drunk and lazy. My first week I was the same way. But now that I am 16 days sober I have regained a lot of my strength, and im back to working out 4 days a week.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congrats!!!!! I would highly suggest checking out some of the tools on this site. AA, SMART, AVRT and others. You should be very proud of your will power but there are easier ways of keeping sober than will power alone.

I am a huge AA fan because it worked for me when nothing esle would but AA does not have an exclusive on recovery. A lot of staying sober is learning about yourself and developing new coping skills because the bottle is no longer one of your available options.

Once again Congrats!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here is the cost/benefit analysis I used. It was tough for those 7 days and I am not feeling as good as I thought. So do I drink to feel immediate gratification and then find I feel worse AND have to go through the seven days all over again? Or get another seven days and do the same cost/benefit analysis. The point for feeling a lot better is different for each, but at some point you will feel it too. Then you will stop making the cost/benefit analysis. For example, it would be insane for me to consider drinking now with two years sobriety right? Some do relapse and some with many more years. Why won't I? Because I already learned I can't drink just one personally, and that relapses are worse each time from reading here, and that we convince ourselves we are normal again and go down the tubes. Since I learned those things I will be damned if I will go through the two years of recovery I have already done all over again and worse????? That would be like you wanting day three through 5 back again over and over like the movie GroundHog Day. That made me shiver.
We are here.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Things around the house can wait Krs. I like the exhaustion in a way, it's kind of peaceful and relaxing Just keep doing what you're doing and don't drink. Well done on 7 days!! x