Notices

Day one again

Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one again

G,day from not so sunny Perth

Well this is day one of no booze again lol how many times have I said that....after almost 12 months of abstanance I thought I could go back to social drinking, just a glass of red at night how hard can that be.

Haha that one glass turned to two which lead to keeping a second bottle stashed in the spare bedroom so it appeared that I was only having two..

Oh and the bottle of cider on the way hme from work.......each night.....

Well I feel like crap today low level depression with anxiety and slight shakes.....but tomorrow I will feel better

And I have to say I have proved it to myself that I can't be a social drinker

I'm not going down this road again
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just proved to myself too I cannot be a social drinker. I only had one month sober though and thought I could do it. Felt good at first, but each time I drank it became more and more. Never got to the point I was before, but it was getting close and I was starting to feel that terrible guilt when waking up after a night of drinking. 14 days sober now, but with the knowledge I cannot be a social drinker either. Glad you are back!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Years ago I clung to the fantasy that I could one day learn to become a social drinker...which is really hilarious since I didn't even start out as one! There's still some little mental video clip of me sitting there, being witty and charming with one glass of wine in front of me all nite, but I see it for the fantasy that it really is. Sure, it would be fun if I could be a social drinker, just like it would be fun to be able to fly or teleport but it ain't gonna happen!:rotfxko

It's a lot easier to look at what I do have once I dismiss the dreams of what I wish I could have.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this your turning point Richie - and I hope the weather's better tomorrow

D
Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome back, Richie.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like youve made a whole lot of progress though, and that counts for a lot!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

About a year ago I gave up drinking for a month and decided that since I could do that (and how proud I was that I lasted a month!) I could go back to drinking again. The first time I drank after that month I had two drinks and stopped. I felt fine - I could definitely be a social drinker. The second time, I had a few more than two, and had to force myself to stop. I really, really didn't want to. It didn't take long before I was drinking exactly the same, if not more. Having that experience and coming to SR daily reminds me that I can never drink socially... EVER. It's just not going to happen. As soon as I got the thought of ever drinking again out of my mind, being sober was a hell of a lot easier.

Wishing you all the best. I hope this time is the one that sticks for you.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Richie,
you came back thats real positive if you want to deal with this

I am powerless over alcohol like a train driver standing on the platform watching the runaway train dissapearing round the bend in the tracks , once i have one it might be a problem or not, i can never tell once i put the thing in motion .

These days i don't play where the odds are so heavily stacked against me, surely to play in a rigged game is madness ?

To make sure i stay sober once the initial physical craving has gone i'm having to learn how to deal with thoughts and feelings sober rather than resort to drinking to plaster over my issues .

It's entirely possible to do this, what have you got to loose ? be tenacious in getting help for yourself .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

welcome back Ritchie. It is good you are here.Hope the first week is not too rough.