Notices

New 2 This

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New 2 This

Greetings,
I have been a pretty heavy partier since I was about 16 years old. My drug of choice has been alcohol for about 7 years now. It started off with just drinking beer with buddies but as of the past 2 years I have been drinking by myself much much more. I have also moved to the harder stuff (vodka mainly) and can put down an entire fifth within about 6 hours.
I have never really been a consistent drinker, but when I do binge, I binge for about 2-3 days, sometimes 4-5 days. I have felt plenty of the withdrawal symptoms such as sleeplessness, feeling like bugs are on my skin, tremors, amongst others.
I have also attempted to stop drinking many times, but didn't really take it all that seriously. I would allow myself to have just one, then the next day just two, and so on, until I got right back to drinking an entire bottle. I have finally decided that I am a much better person while sober. I think this finally came to light last Friday night when I spoke to my mom, and brother on the phone completely intoxicated & forgot the entire conversations. I felt like a complete ******* for this even though it has happened many other times. I'm not quite sure why this time affected me so much more.
In lieu of this, I have been sober since October 7th. I am pretty much past the physical withdrawal symptoms (other than insomnia), but I do have some cravings. I drive past a grocery store every night when coming home from work and it is tempting.
I am posting because I would like some support and suggestions on how to help deal with these temptations, and would greatly appreciate some ideas to help me out. I am not too keen on AA, hence why I'm asking for support here.
I'm very determined to get past these cravings so I do thank you all in advance, for I'm sure I will get some excellent help here.

Sincerely, MW
Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Welcome aboard MW....I am sure you will find the support from SR invaluable....there will be people on later who will definately give you some great advice.....can you drive a different route home so that you don't need to drive past the grocery store...you are young and you deserve a healthy life free of alcohol ....hang around ...read lots and post lots...thats my advice
LSC1
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im on day 5 and struggle as well, its hard but we can do this! That's all I got, sorry! Stay strong!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

One day at a time. You don't have to drink. I'd strongly suggest you got a support network in place. Perhaps check out the local alcohol or drug services in your area.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 also. I agree with LSC about how awesome the support is here. There are some great people who have been there and done that. If you have health insurance maybe look into therapy if you don't want to attend AA...or find a good (sober) friend or mentor that you can call when you feel the urge...like a non AA sponsor. I also agree with finding an alternate route. I started grocery shopping at Walmart bc they don't sell beer here. Also...if you work with people who are bad influences, don't be scared to cut them off and find a new job (if possible). I had to do that years ago to get away from pills. Hang in there! And if you feel really sick go to the hospital. Doctors are surprisingly supportive bc they just want you to get better too!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too was a binge drinker.... Called myself a functioning alcoholic for many years, but really - a "functioning" alcoholic is just an alcoholic that is not honest with himself about the drinking...

Keep yourself busy, you need to re-program your brain and the first 90 days of sobriety are critical... Surround yourself with people that are sober, and are keen on staying sober. This could be AA or many other programs out there... Avoid people, situations,places that remind you of drinking - that's what I had to do for the first while... Now I enjoy a new sense of freedom...

Hang in there, life is so much better sober !!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've dealt with my ghosts and faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself