Notices

Really Upset

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really Upset

Hi Guys

Sorry its me again needing advice, I have been reading some threads this morning on SR as it helps me lots, but I have read about someone who is asking about resetting their sober date due to taking Codeine. I have a bad knee infection and purchased some pain killers on my Dr advice. I automatically purchased Nurofen Plus as I had taken many years ago for back pain and it did help.

I never got addicted to it one bit, when I purchased it this week I didn't even think about the Codeine I was so upset with the pain and just wanted something strong to work. I took this for 2 days and it did seem to help with the pain. However on day 3 I felt light headed and sick and decided to stop straight away as I did not like the feeling one bit. I switched to Panadol.

my question is have I relapsed, I am horrified that I could have although I didn't take them to get any feelings other than to rid myself of my pain which had got some bad I was not sleeping, walking and was crying all the time with the pain. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also in my life I am an all or nothing person, I either quit or I don't no half measures for me. So this would be devastating for me as in my head I would think well I have failed now I might as well go the whole hog.

Ally
x
Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you took it because you really needed it, and not for recreation, I dont think you have relapsed. Just be careful you dont enjoy yourself too much on them!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, I wouldn't consider that a relapse in amy way, you took what youu needed to deal with the pain, not for pleasure. Be proud of yourself and don't take any negativity from someone elses post, everyones situation is different x
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It all depends on the person, but to me sober = abstaining from alcohol and illegal drugs... I take prescription drugs but there is a reason for that and I take only the amount that is needed and never want more. It is not an addiction. I would pick up any over the counter drug for colds, flu, pain etc without thinking anything of it. In my mind, you have done nothing wrong xx
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
If you took it because you really needed it, and not for recreation, I dont think you have relapsed. Just be careful you dont enjoy yourself too much on them!
Thanks Trikuza, stopped taking them as soon as I felt light headed, that's when my brain engaged and I thought **** they have codeine in them. I am so angry with myself for even buying them
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahE View Post
No, I wouldn't consider that a relapse in amy way, you took what youu needed to deal with the pain, not for pleasure. Be proud of yourself and don't take any negativity from someone elses post, everyones situation is different x
Thank you Sarah, didn't think about any pleasure from them and to be honest the feeling I got was horrible and I stopped them. Recovery is so hard and I am always beating myself up over doing the right thing.

Ally
x
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

During the pains that came with my withdrawals, I was in pain for about three/four weeks, everything ached, the Doctor put me on Cocodamol, I was weary of taking them due to knowing that they too could be addictive, so I was careful when I took them, only when the pain was too much to bare. Eventually, I just stopped taking them and toughed it out and the pains subsided.

I don't think I relasped as I didn't allow myself to become dependant on them, so I am sure if you are careful then I don't see a problem.

Remember you are taking them for a medical reason and not just to escape.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
It all depends on the person, but to me sober = abstaining from alcohol and illegal drugs... I take prescription drugs but there is a reason for that and I take only the amount that is needed and never want more. It is not an addiction. I would pick up any over the counter drug for colds, flu, pain etc without thinking anything of it. In my mind, you have done nothing wrong xx

Thanks Mrs King, I really do need to stop beating myself up over things all the time.

Ally
x
Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beating yourself up won't help you, your name alone should say it all, positivity is so hugely important, celebrate what you've achieved and let that be your motivation to continue!x
Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi positivelady

Only you can decide really - if you took the medication for pain, I think that's a legitimate use. Noone should have to suffer pain.

if you haven't a history with codeine, I don't see the problem.

If you have a history of codeine or pain killer abuse...well then it would be pretty dangerous to take opiates - but it's up to you how you might judge that, PL, not anyone here. You know your motivations, but from what you've posted you seemed pretty honest and open in all of this to me

You took the stuff didn't like how you felt and went back to panadol. That sounds like a good decision to me. It sounds like recovery.

Relapse or not is up to you - but the best thing to do, regardless, is to chalk it up to experience, and move on, I think

D
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My experience has been that when I drank alcohol, I relapsed back into drinking alcohol.

I can't relapse without drinking.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

If you did not have an issue with codiene or opiates then how could you have relapsed?
If you are taking medication for pain then what's wrong with that?? You Are a human being and thankfully in the 21st century with have pain killers, so we don't have to suffer!!

Don't be so hard on yourself because lots of addicts recovered or not are extremely tough on themselves which is probably one of the reasons we use!!

It's like me saying i ate a whole chocolate cake, oh **** have I become an overeater do I need to get to a 12 step meeting for that, even tho I was a hopeless alcoholic and dont really like cake!!! Don't make sence does it!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NOOOO ! You Have Not Relapsed. . . . Enjoy your sober life
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. You guys are great I know I will always get honest answers.

Ally
x
Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't call prescription drugs a relapse--if you bought them because you need them. I think we all know when we have relapsed. For instance, I have to fly in November. I do not fly. Normally I would have several drinks before getting on a plane. That would be a relapse. Calling my doctor for xanax will not be a relapse, but it will get me to Boston.

Tonight my girls and I are having game night with hubby for his bday. There will be a lot of drinking there. One glass of wine for me would be a relapse.

If I twist my ankle in the barn today and the doctor prescribes vicodin for pain--not a relapse.

I do not think alcoholics have to live in more pain than we make for ourselves. And I think we know exactly when we have relapsed. That's part of our responsibility.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No, you have not relapsed. IMO. This is up to you though. Pain is something that sometimes needs to be managed with medication. I have a serious back injury that can put me down for days. I have to take meds at times for relief. For me, this is not a relapse. Im not addicted to pain killers. I was having serious issues with Alcohol though. Carry on my friend. If it starts to become a problem you will know what to do.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wouldn't call that a relapse, IMO. Good for you for being vigilant, however.