Notices

New Here....

Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here....

I'm new here....been drinking heavily for years and of course it got out of control and made bad even worse. So after my last major drunken stunt, I said finally enough. Tuesday was the first day I didn't drink...and this time told friends and family. A friend said she would go to an AA meeting with me. Haven't gone yet. I emotionally feel great...FREE and if I think about drinking, I remind myself of the million reasons not to. The only symptom I feel, it major skin itching. Googled it & founds this site. By best friend said its withdraw. I haven't slept well in 3 nights. But wake up not hung over and feeling guilty.
Should I be taking vitamins or anything to improve the damage I've done to my body?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome liltaz
you'll find a lot of support here

I'm cautious with vitamins - I always recommend people see a Dr if they think they might need supplements - only a professional can give you professional advice

D
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here and congratulations on your decision. I don't know anything about what, if anything, you should take for symptoms. That is best left to your doctor. Glad you are working though things though.
I support your idea of meetings. Even if you don't think you "need" them right now, they are still a good idea and should provide support and information that will then be there when you do need it.
Just my opinion though. Keep reading and posting here. I hope you find it as helpful as I have.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I got major skin itching and flaking and for the first time in my life dandruff when I quit. Thus my nick I took here, Itchy. I had my Docs involved and had blood drawn and tests for liver and other issues from alcohol and was clear on all of them. As was said just because I had the withdrawal symptom does not mean it is normal for you.

I had six months of discomfort before I began to heal enough to feel physically and emotionally that I was getting much better.

It takes awhile and patience to get through the healing process as at first for me it seemed I had to get worse before I got better.

If we stay sober, we all eventually get better, or at least better than we felt drinking by far.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I didn't experience skin itching but through being here I've noticed that it's a common side effect of withdrawal. If you are concerned about anything then please see a Dr.

I hope you stick around and use the support on offer. I'm pleased you are considering outside help like AA and that you have a friend on your side. SR is a great tool to add your recovery - there are many people here who have been where you are and are willing to offer support and advice.

Wishing you all the best x