Notices

We all have a story – here is mine

Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Renaldo, thanks for sharing your story. Like I said, we all have one!!!

I quit completely. But I am a pup. Today is day 41 without anything to drink. I quit several times before, but this time is different. My mindset is different. I actually “envision” myself as a non-drinker…perpetually. And the funny thing is, I like it!

Good luck to you Renaldo!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benice View Post
Renaldo, thanks for sharing your story. Like I said, we all have one!!!

I quit completely. But I am a pup. Today is day 41 without anything to drink. I quit several times before, but this time is different. My mindset is different. I actually “envision” myself as a non-drinker…perpetually. And the funny thing is, I like it!

Good luck to you Renaldo!
I'm still getting the hang of how to work this forum. I didn't want to lose the message I had typed. After I sent it I went back to your original posting and saw that you said you were a seasoned partier. When I first read that I thought you had typed "seasoned painter" and you were going to elaborate on how your father was too.

If you want to, I'd be interested to hear how your Dad's behavior effected your partying. Only if you want to.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Renaldo, I love to paint too!! HHAAA! Let me think about your question a bit and I will post this afternoon. Thanks for asking...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Renaldo, my father’s drinking had such a negative impact on my life, that it’s hard to believe I’d ever touch alcohol. Au contraire! I loved the stuff! But in my head, I was a social drinker and HE was an ALCOHOLIC.

When I was very young, alcohol appeared glamorous. It was at every social function. My parents (mom and dad both) allowed us to have a special drink on Christmas Eve. I recall the atmosphere was festive, the table was beautiful, and we were served crème de mint in tiny Baccarat stemware.

My teenage drinking was typical for my surroundings, and I think his drinking was still socially acceptable then. During this time, his absence caused me much greater heartache than did his drinking. By the time I was in my late 20s, however, he was a mess. This did not deter me. I continued to drink socially without any ill consequence. In fact, I advanced to corporate VP during this stage of my drinking.

Fast forward to today. To an outsider, my drinking would still be considered socially acceptable. But somewhere, I think that I crossed a line in the progression. I guarded my behavior when out, and drank when I got home. Wine became more than a social beverage; it became my medication for stress.

So as I write this, I realize that my father’s behavior had no bearing on the evolution of my own drinking. But I think that his genes did. My mother doesn’t have the same pattern. She has always been able to drink at a party and quit at the appropriate time. She’s my rock!

Well…take that back…my father’s drinking HAS impacted the evolution of my drinking. His behavior allowed me to see the progression of alcoholism. It has caused me to be here, on SR, conquering this beast before it takes my life.

Thanks for asking…