SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally Going To Treatment!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/270868-finally-going-treatment.html)

Extrochris 10-12-2012 06:46 AM

Finally Going To Treatment!!

Well the good news is in, I am leaving to go to the facility I have been waiting on for close to a month. I have been in jail this whole time and now I am finally going to the Specialized Treatment Facility. Everyone please pray for me to get better this time. I will be leaving this Monday, on the 15th, and I will probably stay for a few months. I feel very confident, by the way this is my 18th day sober! This time I WILL stay clean!!

Sapling 10-12-2012 06:55 AM

I'll pray for you....Here's a little advice for you when you get to treatment....Keep your ears and your mind open....Learn all you can...And hang tight to the people that are taking it seriously....Your life just might depend on this...Congrats on 18 days!

dSober 10-12-2012 06:59 AM

Congratulations on day 18 Extrochris!

I was sh*t faced when I arrived my first time in rehab. They put me on lybrium for a few days to ease the withdrawl and prevent seizure.

When I finally came out of my drunken stupor, I was given the nickname "Dougie Fresh" (my first name is Doug) by one of my fellow rehabers. The name stuck the whole time I was there. Loved it. I was only there a month but had a great time. A whole bunch of very nice, helpful people. Drunks, junkies, even a retired cop with a xanax problem. We became pretty good buddies as he was around my age but we were all pretty close during our stay. Regardless of any minor differences; age, gender, race, etc.; we were all the same.

silly 10-12-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3621138)
I'll pray for you....Here's a little advice for you when you get to treatment....Keep your ears and your mind open....Learn all you can...And hang tight to the people that are taking it seriously....Your life just might depend on this...Congrats on 18 days!

Great advice. Stick with those who are taking treatment and sobriety seriously. Good luck!

Extrochris 10-12-2012 07:08 AM

Rehab is going to be good, I have been to a few others and I enjoyed them, but never took them seriously. I am just glad I will be at a place that has some decent food, this jail food sucks very badly, I am super happy about getting clean and deciding to stay clean.

Sapling 10-12-2012 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 3621142)
Congratulations on day 18 Extrochris!

I was sh*t faced when I arrived my first time in rehab. They put me on lybrium for a few days to ease the withdrawl and prevent seizure.

When I finally came out of my drunken stupor, I was given the nickname "Dougie Fresh" (my first name is Doug) by one of my fellow rehabers. The name stuck the whole time I was there. Loved it. I was only there a month but had a great time. A whole bunch of very nice, helpful people. Drunks, junkies, even a retired cop with a xanax problem. We became pretty good buddies as he was around my age but we were all pretty close during our stay. Regardless of any minor differences; age, gender, race, etc.; we were all the same.

How did that work out for you?

Sapling 10-12-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Extrochris (Post 3621151)
Rehab is going to be good, I have been to a few others and I enjoyed them, but never took them seriously. I am just glad I will be at a place that has some decent food, this jail food sucks very badly, I am super happy about getting clean and deciding to stay clean.

I didn't really care about the food...It was fine though. I knew I'd be in an environment where I couldn't drink for 30 days....Kind of like jail I guess. I was more concerned with how was I going to stay sober when I got out....Real world stuff. They introduced me to AA and I listened. I have been to rehab once and I haven't had a drink since....I went in July 1st, 2011. Good luck to you man....I hope it works for you.

dSober 10-12-2012 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3621154)
How did that work out for you?

I've been to in-paient twice, and out-patient twice. Also been to many meetings but haven't been in a while. I'm going Sunday though, as I described in a recent post in the "Planned My Relapse" thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got 26 days, today, THAT'S what's important.

Sapling 10-12-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 3621180)
I've been to in-paient twice, and out-patient twice. Also been to many meetings but haven't been in a while. I'm going Sunday though, as I described in a recent post in the "Planned My Relapse" thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got 26 days, today, THAT'S what's important.

Good...Hang on to those days....You've been to lots of meetings...You ever get a sponsor to show you how AA works?

dSober 10-12-2012 07:46 AM

Thanks Sapling. Yes, I've had a few sponsors. I expect to see one of them Sunday.

I actually met my first sponsor on the internet. Finally met him face-to-face some time later. Great guy but I believe that internet sponsoring is probably not a good idea. I think a sponsor should be someone you SEE regularly.

For some of us, the more strong headed and stubborn ones I believe, like myself, this takes longer than others. God bless the ones that make it through quickly. But that's not all of us.

Extrochris 10-12-2012 07:49 AM

This will be my 5th in patient rehab I have been to, never been to out patient. I'm worried about getting better, but dang man I am so hungry lol. I am going to take this as serious as I know how to.

dSober 10-12-2012 07:55 AM

BTW Sapling, been locked up a few times myself. Longest was only 9 days in county though. Was drunk every time. Thank Goodness the 9 days in county wasn't after a long binge; withdrawl in jail probably woulda sucked big time; it's sucks enough at home.

Sapling 10-12-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 3621199)
I think a sponsor should be someone you SEE regularly.

I think mine wanted to see my eyes....It would be too easy to BS someone online...You know what I mean?

dSober 10-12-2012 07:57 AM

Accepting a "power greater than myself" has been hard for me. In order to get well, I have to. So do you.

Sapling 10-12-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Extrochris (Post 3621203)
This will be my 5th in patient rehab I have been to, never been to out patient. I'm worried about getting better, but dang man I am so hungry lol. I am going to take this as serious as I know how to.

I'll send some prayers your way....I hope something sticks this time. I'd think you would be kind of tired of going to rehab.

SDSurfn 10-12-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3621138)

What he said. This can be the start of your new life.

Treatment was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Sapling 10-12-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 3621215)
Accepting a "power greater than myself" has been hard for me. In order to get well, I have to. So do you.

I heard somewhere...Someone hung that moon up there and it wasn't you!...Maybe you can just use the group to start out.

dSober 10-12-2012 08:12 AM

LOL, onlne BS is what got me in this mess in the first place. I seperated from my wife to move in with a woman I accidently (no sh*t) met online. She left her husband in AZ and moved back here. She turned out to be a MAJOR disaster. I started drinking more often so I could pass out during her relentless nagging sessions. That drinking led to my jail time (verbal abuse is a crime in NJ, as is DWI of course).

Getting back to my remote sponsor, I think it was he that invited me to a meeting down in Delaware. I wanted to meet him so I went down there.

I don't really have anyhing thing against remote sponsoring but it's hard to give someone a real pat on the back, for example, over a wire.

Delilah1 10-12-2012 08:13 AM

Good luck with rehab. I am starting today at day one again. Called the psychiatry department to try to get an appointment. The addiction clinic opens at nine, so I am going to stay on this site until I can call. I also found a meeting at 10:30, in case they can't get me in today. I will keep you in my thoughts as you head to rehab.