Notices

They tried to make me go to rehab...

Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They tried to make me go to rehab...

I had no idea that was going to happen when I went to the doctor today!! I mean, I know I have a problem...but there is absolutely no way I will let this happen again. I am so happy right now and it's ony day two. This might be the calm before the storm but I don't care. I feel great. Plus, I start working on a program to get my pharm tech cert on Monday AND I have a hard time leaving my son all day.so I said no to he week of impatient. Then she suggested this PRM (?) program which I have to commit to going to every day for 21 days! There is no way. I know I can do this. I feel a lot better about myself just taking those first few steps. I go to a therapist soon to get back on meds suitable for my mental issues which I think started this entire ordeal. We can do this, damnit!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emhow84 View Post
I had no idea that was going to happen when I went to the doctor today!! I mean, I know I have a problem...but there is absolutely no way I will let this happen again. I am so happy right now and it's ony day two. This might be the calm before the storm but I don't care. I feel great. Plus, I start working on a program to get my pharm tech cert on Monday AND I have a hard time leaving my son all day.so I said no to he week of impatient. Then she suggested this PRM (?) program which I have to commit to going to every day for 21 days! There is no way. I know I can do this. I feel a lot better about myself just taking those first few steps. I go to a therapist soon to get back on meds suitable for my mental issues which I think started this entire ordeal. We can do this, damnit!
Not sure what PRM means. Outpatient rehab? If that's what it means, I highly recommend it. You'll learn so much and meet so many other people battling the same problems you are and at the same stage of recovery.
21 days isn't bad if you're home every night with your baby. It'll keep you on track and get you those first really hard days of sobriety under your belt.

Regardless of what you decide, keep strong! I'm glad you've chosen sobriety!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Emhow84
Good luck. I would just ask you this.
Is your plan/plans working our for you? What will YOU measure yourself against and WHEN will YOU know that YOU are wrong. Not a great idea to hit the wall then turn. Just saying what is YOUR signal that maybe you do need help?

AG
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, I would have loved it my doc had offered me something like that. I got a 'well you're not actively withdrawing now' and a 'go to AA'! I'm a little jealous. Can you self refer if you change your mind?

But yeah, I am sure you can do this with SR's help x
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Em, did you tell your doctor you would check back next week? can you go to outpatient rehab at least 3X a week? how long is it? 1-2 hours? do they have child care?

i know that these situations don't fit in with your life, but having something the first few weeks...it's really good that you have a therapist to help you. I just saw that section.

good luck and please feel free to join us in the Gratitude section too.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not stopping reaching out...I know what I was doing was wrong. I just dot feel being locked up for a week is going to help. I have a lot of people around me cheeri me on. If I do relaps I will hate myself, but I do have the number for the place they wanted me to go. I think therapy is best for me considering who I am and how I get anxious around people I don't know.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Post here before you think about picking up a drink.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got to another doctor this week. The outpatient is from 8am -4pm. And they don't have child care. I really think it would be good but right now I'm ok...better than ok. I want that to be my last resort I guess. I really think just talking to someone will help me. i have a lot of Thigs I have delt with over the years and have never talked to anyone about.

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Em, did you tell your doctor you would check back next week? can you go to outpatient rehab at least 3X a week? how long is it? 1-2 hours? do they have child care?

i know that these situations don't fit in with your life, but having something to be accountable to might be a good idea the first few weeks.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Best of luck and keep close to those that you feel close to
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes I can self refer. I'm still going to call them and check the place out. If thy have other options, like a shorter day and fewer days a week, then I would definitely consider it if I'm struggling. If I do pick up a drink I am definitely going. And I really don't want to go. So that's something to keep me sober.
Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Wow, I would have loved it my doc had offered me something like that. I got a 'well you're not actively withdrawing now' and a 'go to AA'! I'm a little jealous. Can you self refer if you change your mind?

But yeah, I am sure you can do this with SR's help x
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The stuff I eventually got offered round here was totally unsuitable for me because it was in the day and I work... but they went out of their way to accommodate me and I now just see someone once a month. It helps to have someone to check in with and to make sure I'm moving forwards. Maybe they'll be able to accommodate you better too x
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Em,

Is this place around here? If so, they have a night program 3 nights a week for 3-4 hrs a night (can't remember). It lasts for 5 weeks, I think.

jennikate
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah i think it was called starlite or something. What hours at night? I could do 9-12 hours a week...not friggin 40!! lol what is the name of the one you're talking of? You can pm me.
Originally Posted by jennikate View Post
Hi Em,

Is this place around here? If so, they have a night program 3 nights a week for 3-4 hrs a night (can't remember). It lasts for 5 weeks, I think.

jennikate
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you are able to stay sober, and I also hope that you keep an open mind about recovery methods that are open to you. I'm glad you're feeling good on Day 2.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was addicted to opiates, so maybe this is different, but if someone would have told me, "You have to grind your face in asphault, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, but it WILL get you sober and you will live and have your life (and kids) afterwards" i would have said "Sign Me Up!" Because i have found, you have to really WANT it, to get it. Sobriety that is. Getting sober is a lot of work and i had to be SO desperate that almost anything that would ultimately lead to stopping the pain and anguish and guilt of using - would sound good. And so is staying sober. Maybe even more so. For me, anyways. But i have never been through alcohol withdrawal.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Em,recently did an outpatient three nights a week for four weeks. Hours were from 5-8, but we usually finished around 7 730. Best thing i Did early on. I'd highly recommend it,maybe shop around a bit?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Em,

I pm'd you about the program near us. I think shopping around sounds great but there are no night programs that I am aware of besides this. There are a few day programs within 50 miles or so.

jennikate