Notices

Alcohol withdrawl...your experience and advice please :)

Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

The body is an Extremely strong instrument, may I suggest that if you start to go into withdrawals then get to hospital quick. I've never
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Sorry bat error. I've never experienced withdrawals as such but there is plenty of help and advice on this forum, good luck, you are not alone x
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So im glad i found this conversation. I woke up after finaly dozing off a couple hrs ago,took some melatonin...but here i am again awake. This is how it usually goes for me. I am5'6" 160lbs drink whatever i have available but realy like wine, not unusual for me to drink a couple bottles to get started then its whatever i can find,whisky,vodka....i usually set myself up earlier and hide it or drink whatever my hubby has. Ive been hospitalized once for alcohol overdose,my dau gh ter thought i stopped berathing. I am unfortunate and dont realy have bad "hangovers" just days of sweats and mild shakes. Right now i finished day 2 going into 3. Insomnia,right side and back pain,neck ache, head ache, sweats, eyes burning, greasy skin, very itchy. Watching pulse, only in the 70.s. I will go to the store tomorrow to make sure my bloodpressure is ok. Lots of frustration, emotional,crying...guilty feelings... I think i will be ok since it doesn't feel a lot different than usual. Sometimes i get dizzy too but not bad today.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have no experience of withdrawals yet maybe, only on day two. Iam sure you will get lots of help and advice on here. wonderful people here and many of them for year.

good luck Emho84
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Had been drinking 12-15 beer daily for decades. Only at night though. No withdrawal at all except didn't sleep well for a few days.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How did your night go Emhow?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hope it went well. Another evening to get through now :-S
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 1

Living life without alcohol. This is going to be good!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep but maybe an hour...except that had nothing to do with my recovery...my son wasn't sleeping well and I had to make a 230 run to Walgreens for meds. Other than beig tired and extraordinarily anxious and bored...I'm good. Thanks for asking. Gla you made it too Swindon!
Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
How did your night go Emhow?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My wife was drinking similar amounts to you, she did a 7 day detox at the hospital, and good thing because she had a very rough time. Blood pressure went through the roof (even after being medicated for the potential increase), shaking hands, couldn't sleep, nausea, etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was on 2-3 bottles of wine a day, I"m 5'6 and 150. I went to the ER and was honest about my withdrawing and the doc gave me librium and something for my blood pressure. My parents came up to take care of my kid and I slept for 3 days, minimal symptoms at all. I am now officially on day 6 and my appetite has fully returned and I feel great! I asked a similar question on here a week ago when I was starting to shake and get heart palpitations, and everyone said go to a doc. I'm glad I did, it made it so much easier and I was able to stay at home instead of check into detox.

Best of luck!
Anne
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qwerrt View Post
I was on 2-3 bottles of wine a day, I"m 5'6 and 150. I went to the ER and was honest about my withdrawing and the doc gave me librium and something for my blood pressure. My parents came up to take care of my kid and I slept for 3 days, minimal symptoms at all. I am now officially on day 6 and my appetite has fully returned and I feel great! I asked a similar question on here a week ago when I was starting to shake and get heart palpitations, and everyone said go to a doc. I'm glad I did, it made it so much easier and I was able to stay at home instead of check into detox.

Best of luck!
Anne
How log did it take before you felt the withdrawals?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day for 5 years I went the hospital the ativan really helps it was hell
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I went to community detox. so went in every day to get monitored and was on librium to help with withdrawals so it wasn't that bad. first day I was freezing, saw spiders on the wall and felt generally hungover. then had sickness and shakes. but the main thing to watch out is the emotional side. if I hadn't have found an AA meeting on day 3 I wouldn't have made it. Remember that your mind will say anything to make you drink again, so be strong realise its the addiction talking and its not rational. I'm 7 weeks sober now.
Good luck, you can do this!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rubysoho View Post
I went to community detox. so went in every day to get monitored and was on librium to help with withdrawals so it wasn't that bad. first day I was freezing, saw spiders on the wall and felt generally hungover. then had sickness and shakes. but the main thing to watch out is the emotional side. if I hadn't have found an AA meeting on day 3 I wouldn't have made it. Remember that your mind will say anything to make you drink again, so be strong realise its the addiction talking and its not rational. I'm 7 weeks sober now.
Good luck, you can do this!
I like that..."your mind will say anything to make you drink again.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

you need to realize that you might not sleep tonight, sweaty and stomach upset, rapid HR...tomorrow you might feel sick.

i hope that your doctor is monitoring you while you are in the first week. babysitter on standby.