Notices

AA and Ego

Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Yeah, modern psychotherapy and antidepressants.
You might as well add AVRT and SMART in there. I'm all for whatever works.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You might as well add AVRT and SMART in there. I'm all for whatever works.
Very true. We've got so many people here on SR, including myself, who are really seeing great progress in all ways and options. Thanks, Sapling!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

What a great post..many thanks to DNVR who posted the original question! For anyone who likes aa for the fellowship rest assure that there are many like you who simply like the fellowship, there are no rules other than "don't drink". I support any method of recovery..even wearing purple socks on mondays!! LOL
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by silly View Post
Very true. We've got so many people here on SR, including myself, who are really seeing great progress in all ways and options. Thanks, Sapling!
I suspect one thing that helps is to be totally committed to whatever approach taken, learning to celebrate when people find sobriety in other ways without losing commitment to our own way.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Sapling, you don't need to quote the bb to me as I am very familiar with it..I would disagree that going to meetings isn't enough, as I know many who have used meetings as a cornerstone to their recovery. As we can attest to, SR is a bevel of folks whom got sober using many different methods..DNVR asked a very important question, one worthy of an honest answer, thank you for yours!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

For me, meetings alone was not enough. I tried just attending meetings. I couldn't stay stopped long enough for any thing to sink in nor did I really want it to.

And then it got worse ..... I realized what I had been trying to do was not working for me.

Working the steps with a sponsor changed my life. I didn't do them because I wanted to. I did it because, as Sapling said, it was a matter of life and death for me.

No matter what your experience is, it is important. No one can disagree with my experience because ..... well, it's mine.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ahh PaperDolls you hit the nail on its head.."nor did I really want it to" No one quits until they are ready...not a minute or a second before. For me meetings anchored my recovery..I did the work but the meetings made me realize all that I had worth fighting for..for that I will always be grateful.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
For me, meetings alone was not enough. I tried just attending meetings. I couldn't stay stopped long enough for any thing to sink in nor did I really want it to.

And then it got worse ..... I realized what I had been trying to do was not working for me.

Working the steps with a sponsor changed my life. I didn't do them because I wanted to. I did it because, as Sapling said, it was a matter of life and death for me.

No matter what your experience is, it is important. No one can disagree with my experience because ..... well, it's mine.
It was a matter of life and death for me as well. It was not until my life became unmanagable that I was willing to do what was necessary. I am a bull headed SOB and I almost killed myself before I was willing to change but change I did with the help of AA, a sponsor, and a higher power. I have changed more in the last 3 years than in the previous 30 It was not until I had something to compare it to did I realize how totally unmanagable my life had become.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It is not always easy. I just always need to remind myself we share the planet and disease. Cleaning up after a meeting this guy is angry and pushing me no idea why maybe my looks so I just said you want to sit and talk. It was like he let his life out. Some of us really hurt.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
It is not always easy. I just always need to remind myself we share the planet and disease. Cleaning up after a meeting this guy is angry and pushing me no idea why maybe my looks so I just said you want to sit and talk. It was like he let his life out. Some of us really hurt.
You had a God moment right then and this is just one of the promises of AA. How often in the normal world do you have the ability to directly impact someone's life in a positive way. You did good, very good.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

No one said it was easy Mycool..
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

How often in the normal world do you have the ability to directly impact someone's life in a positive way?
We have this ability every conscious moment of every day is one person's answer to this. The concept that one would limit themselves to helping only addicted people who seek sobriety in a certain prescribed manner is ...?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

How often in the normal world do you have the ability to directly impact someone's life in a positive way?
We have this ability every conscious moment of every day, is one person's answer to this question. We don't need to limit ourselves to only helping addicted people who are seeking sobriety by following only a certain prescribed spiritual path.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
We have this ability every conscious moment of every day, is one person's answer to this question. We don't need to limit ourselves to only helping addicted people who are seeking sobriety by following only a certain prescribed spiritual path.
What happened was a wonderful thing. Rejoyce that it happened.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DNVR View Post
I recently began going to AA and have been feeling great about it. The only problem is that on numerous occasions I've overheard individuals saying how much "newcomers" bug them. In small talk after meetings, several members have also drilled me with questions on why I am at AA.

I haven't been court ordered to attend AA and am going on my own free wiil. I'm tired of how alcohol has made my life unmanageable and simply need help. If part of AA is about losing your ego, why do I feel the need to prove myself to "regulars" or members with years of sobriety?

Their actions can only turn people away and push the stereotype of AA as a members only cult further than it already has.

Since it's been helping, should I just keep going and avoid being sponsored and discussions within the group. I've felt more comfortable when I've just gone and listened.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

wheni got into AA, i was eventually asked why i was there. i told them the truth. i was sick and tired of being sick and tired and if i took another drink i was gonna kill myself. i think i was lookin at it a lil differently as i already had a lil experience with AA and knew there were a lot of people there with the wrong motives. i had to earn their trust just as they had to earn my trust that they were there with the right motives.
you may feel you need to prove yourself because of some character defects, which the program will help you find.

yes, members can be completely different at the tables and out the doors. it is very easy to talk the talk for an hour. it is all that time on the other side of the doors that matters.
IMO, i suggest you keep going and seek out the fellowship you crave. keep your ears and eyes open and listen to the people. you just may find your sponsor.

it is important to remember that some are truly sicker than others and havent let go of all of their old ideas.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I was not advocating that people ignore newcomers---but I think it is understandable. Every year I was in the program I must have seen at least 100 newcomers who did not make it to a third meeting each year. When I started out, it was maybe twice that at meetings where the newcomers outnumbered those with any time.

This is a problem in many areas. It is not a good thing, but surely it is understandable.

Given that the majority of people of any meeting have a year or less, is it any wonder that people who are not secure in their own sobriety do not extend themselves. I know I was often afraid of relapsing with newcomers if I got too close.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

One thing that AA has absolutely right is the concept of willingness.
You have to be absolutely willing to do whatever it takes.
Also-
Both AVRT and AA have the concept of giving up the fight.
Turning it over or dismissing/ignoring the beast, either CAN end the constant struggle for some.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

so many paths regarding recovery AA was not for me
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Originally Posted by nobshere View Post
What a great post..many thanks to DNVR who posted the original question! For anyone who likes aa for the fellowship rest assure that there are many like you who simply like the fellowship, there are no rules other than "don't drink". I support any method of recovery..even wearing purple socks on mondays!! LOL
.....and technically "don't drink" isn't even a rule. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Originally Posted by nobshere View Post
Sapling, you don't need to quote the bb to me as I am very familiar with it..I would disagree that going to meetings isn't enough, as I know many who have used meetings as a cornerstone to their recovery. As we can attest to, SR is a bevel of folks whom got sober using many different methods..DNVR asked a very important question, one worthy of an honest answer, thank you for yours!
I think this one of those 'you get out of it what you put in to it'. For me it was life and death so I put everything in to it. Sponsor, service work, 12 steps, everything. The fellowship turned out to be an unexpected blessing. If just going to meetings and finding fellowship is enough for you...awesome. I needed more than that.