Notices

new comer

Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new comer

This is all new to me..I normally don't not ask anyone for help.but, I have a problem with drinking. I have been tellin myself and others that I am goin to quit and it will get better for a while.and I keep putting it off and off, when I do try, it only last a couple days..I woulern't mind having a drink every now and then and only a couple at that..but it is all or nothing it seems like . Don't really know what to ask for or what to do. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coming here is a good start. Like you, I'm not one to ask for help, either. That's called pride and it ain't a good personality trait, in my opinion! Welcome to you. I suggest you read around the forum. You will be surprised at how many people here are telling the same kind of story...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am new too! I don't usually like getting help from others either, but I like being on here so far. Nice to come and talk to some people going through similar things. I think this is another way for me to hold myself accountable, so figured it was a good step.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Castoff

Have you thought about looking into a recovery program before? x
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Before I have thought about a recovery program..very brief though and never followed through. So far other than not having a drink for a day, this is the first step i have made.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

And a great first step it is, too, Castoff. There are legions of people like us who have gotten sober with only the great support SR provides.

Pride is not a bad thing at all. For me, it was finally my self pride that made me refuse to accept the miserable existence I used to have. My self respect had taken a beating, but it was still there, and it finally kicked hard enough to make me take a stand and finally decide to quit this foolishness, once and for all. I haven't looked back since.

I hope you keep posting, Castoff. You are most welcome here.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am new, too, castoff. You're not alone. I have only been on here for an hour or two and I have admitted more here than I can to my closest friends and family. That feels liberating.

Good luck...I hope we are both here for a while.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel the same way..I have admitted more in the past hour here than I have to anyone..and all of the supporting feedback I am gettin feels great so far..hope our result are just as good.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

howdy Castoff and welcome to SR , its a great place full of amazing people and many success storys and shares.

Pip is right , comming here is a great first step, I dont think there isnt 1 person here on SR who didnt do just that , talk the talk and not finish the mile. We often say ooh Im gonna start ... but something always seems to come up that manages to push the soberity on that backshelf right behind the bottle . another thing you can do while on here is as your doing is post. and read theres soooo many and much to read from others who are going thu many of the sames things as yourself ~ huggles Endzy~
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by endzoner
I don't think there isn't 1 person here on SR who didn't do just that , talk the talk and not finish the mile.
Endzoner, there are a lot of folks who struggle with sobriety, got sober and relapsed repeatedly.

But is is not true for everyone. Make no mistake, there are plenty of other folks too who decided to quit once and for all, and they did it. First time. For good. Took it off the table. They told themselves to believe that they could quit, that they had the power to quit, that they must quit. They quit.

You can do it too, anyone can. There is no magic formula, no ******. Just your iron clad will and determination to do this thing, even if you will be the first person in the history of the world to do it. No matter what.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, castoff. I felt so alone until I found SR. I was immediately comforted by the people here - they knew just what I was going through. I hope you'll find hope and encouragement. You can do this - and have a new life.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome Castoff. I have been battling this for over three years now and i can tell you this isn't a battle i could fight on my own. Without the support of SR. My friends and family, and our Lord, i would be divorced, or possibly dead. Forget about pride and you will find support here. You have already taken a very important step by coming here and admitting you have a problem.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome castoff!

I put off getting sober for a long time, too. Even as miserable as I was, it felt scary to think about facing life sober. I finally figured out it wasn't going to get any easier to quit "someday" - infact, the more I drank, the less control I had over it. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer than I did.

Glad you're here - we're all behind you!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome castoff!
This is a great place to be!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Fresh Im sober 9 yrs hun , was refurring to the bar/party conversations most have or had while using and complaining about life and how we should quit .

Im fortunate that I took to recovery first time , but I spoke of ( I can quit anytime I wanna ) multipul times .