Notices

Just a hello.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Just a hello.

I think I had one of the best weekends in recent memory.

It was cold and rainy yesterday. I did so many things. I felt so clear.

Yet today.... I am rather sad.

This up and down thing is odd. I know it will level off. But in the midst it kinda blows.

Called my sponsor. We have a 7:30 call each day. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around why someone would care enough to have me check in everyday. I called him Saturday and Sunday too.

No clever words today. Just a simple hello.

Going to try to make fried chicken for the first time. Not many firsts left in life so I guess frying chicken will be a thrill of sorts.

I hope everyone is doing well. I see some are struggling... Some are mourning... Some are marking milestones.... All in a day on SR. I wish you all the best!

I will be close by. I need to today.

K
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Thank you for sharing Weasel I will be seeing my sponsor and checking in this evening too
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Called my sponsor. We have a 7:30 call each day. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around why someone would care enough to have me check in everyday. I called him Saturday and Sunday too.
You made it through that weekend pretty painlessly...Maybe this has something to do with it. Nice job Ken...Have a great sober day!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

To miss-quote someone from here :-

A down day is'nt the price of recovery , it is the price of life as seen through sober eyes .

Keep warm , Bestwishes, M
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Painlessly? Hummmm...

well I will admit it was less challenging than most other weekends. And yes. Having a sponsor is helping quite a bit. Hes a nice guy. He makes me want to try.

K
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi W1966, I had an extremely productive week-end too. My husband and I actually went out and had lunch at a restaurant we have never been to and took a drive since it was a beautiful day. I kept feeling so grateful that we weren't home sitting on the couch in some hungover stupor. I also cleaned closets like a crazy woman and it kind of helps my feeling of "starting over". Today is more of a let down by comparison. I am going to try to "fake it till I make" it and take up where I left off on my work with the closets. I am glad you talked to your sponsor and that it was helpful. Hang in there today, we can do this!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Yet today.... I am rather sad.
Me too, and this was like my 40th sober weekend... Had a great day Saturday with the Boy Scouts and my young adult daughter was visiting and we played music all day culminating in our participation in an Open Mike at a coffee house nearby. And the radio is playing an Alison Krauss song that my daughter covers very well... It's a cool clear mid October morning, and that alone is enough to tug at my sleeves... And she left to go back to where she lives as I left for work this morning.

And it's awesome and it's as it should be and I am all here for it... Sobriety allows me to experience all of it... The good and, well, the not as good...

Back to work (no Columbus Day observance for me!)...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband and I are quitting together and we are on day 8. We quit cigarettes together over 5 years ago, and I pray this will work too. Last night we found ourselves laughing hysterically about the silliest things and it felt so good. We even asked ourselves if it was some weird by-product of withdrawal. I mean we laugh alot anyway and it is one of my favorite things, but I was rolling, tears down my cheeks and all. It kind of felt like I was someone else for a a while!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL Thanks! I did the same. I clean out my desk in the office. I reorganized my sock drawer. I have three socks I cannot match up ... hmmm... and I did a bunch of other things.

I will make today a good one. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank Mark... sounds like a great weekend!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mark 75 - Congratulations on your 40th week-end!! Awesome. I love to sing and always wish I had the nerve to do so in front of anyone other than my family! I also love Alison Krauss and singing to her music. I am so glad that you had that time with your daughter! Your words "And it's awesome and it's as it should be and I am all here for it... Sobriety allows me to experience all of it... The good and, well, the not as good... really speak loudly to me this morning and I thank you!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

W1966 - Haha! Hang on to those socks, the mates are bound to show up eventually!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is fantastic that you have a sponsor and are working the program!!!!!

By working with a sponsor you are keeping him/her sober that is why "Service" is one of the legs of the AA triangle. Service work is absolutely essiental for long term sobriety so you are giving as well as getting.

In order to keep sobriety you have to give it away. Someday God willing you will have a sponsee.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the ups and down are strange, aren't they? Mine were based on minutes - one minute i felt fine, the next minute I was fearful, the next sobbing. Early recovery is quite a trip. I think we feel all the emotions we numbed for so many years in our first 90 days.

Glad to hear you are doing so well. You're posts offer so much help to the site.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Glad to hear that you have found someone with whom you feel comfortable talking. Great news! Keep it going, Ken. Thou mayest.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im just so proud of you Ken. You make me smile. Thank you!