SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help :( advice needed... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/270427-help-advice-needed.html)

aworldforme 10-07-2012 10:44 PM

Help :( advice needed...

I don't know what to do, I've tried time and time again to stop drinking. I feel so lonely and that I'm missing out on all the fun. All everyone wants to do is go out have a few drinks have a good time, but it never happens for me. I understand that, but they don't. They're not interested in anything else, and wouldn't understand where I'm coming from. I need a hobby but I've truthfully never really had one. I feel like I'm losing everybody and all of the fun.

What do I do? :(:gaah

IndaMiricale 10-07-2012 10:49 PM

I have about a hand full of people that I knew from my drinking days that I even see anymore...

AA fellowship has become my world of friendship now... We do things all the time here. Golf,bowling, parties, picnic, retreats ect.... :)

awuh1 10-07-2012 11:01 PM

I thought that if I quit drinking that life would turn very dull and all the fun would be gone, never to return. Wow was I wrong. If you cannot control your drinking then AA might be a long term solution for you. Call your local office and ask where the meetings are and go. You can just sit and listen, but I would suggest letting folks know it’s your first meeting. Odds are very good you’ll be glad you went. Best wishes.

Inca 10-07-2012 11:02 PM

Completely know where you're coming from. A year ago I had no idea what fun was without drinking. I don't know what the area is like around you but I literally had to force myself to sign up for sports, classes, hobbies.

What I dis to get started was think about what I liked to do as a child. Well, I was really into arts and crafts. I made pottery..jewerly...art....photography. I lost all that when drinking took over. So I enrolled in classes around me for those types of things and I'm really liking them. It's tough when all of a sudden you're stuck bored with nothing to do but really stretch yourself to think about what your gift is and what you used to enjoy doing and start from there.

Geralt 10-07-2012 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Inca (Post 3614400)
What I dis to get started was think about what I liked to do as a child. Well, I was really into arts and crafts. I made pottery..jewerly...art....photography. I lost all that when drinking took over. So I enrolled in classes around me for those types of things and I'm really liking them. It's tough when all of a sudden you're stuck bored with nothing to do but really stretch yourself to think about what your gift is and what you used to enjoy doing and start from there.

This is very good advice! I also had to rediscover the things I was interested in. I now watch much less tv and sports, but I read more and cycle a lot. I do stuff I almost never did before like sightseeing or visiting museums. I visit my family more often. I started learning about internet networks and routers, so I can find a better job.

The possibilities are really endless, it's just difficult in the beginning as your mindset changes.