SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   i need u to push me ..... please (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/270412-i-need-u-push-me-please.html)

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:07 PM

i need u to push me ..... please

I have been telling myself that i will go to my first aa meeting tomorrow. I have been planning it for a week.

Im asking someone to tell me to go.

Nobody...not even my husband...knows that I want to go. That I need to go.

I am so scared because I dont know how I will deal with daily life. But I know I wont live much longer if I dont get help NOW.

Just need someone to nudge... shove.... please.

Love... Sparky

Sobersunshine 10-07-2012 07:14 PM

Sparky, go to AA! You will not regret it! If you do the work, it will change your life. But dont worry about that now, just go and listen, speak if you want to, but you don't have to.

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:16 PM

I guess what I really just want to hear is that it will be okay. That going to a meeting will be safe and good. Im sorry if I am being overly needy. I know its my job to get myself sober. I just feel so alone.

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:19 PM

Sunshine... thank u for replying so quickly. that is what I needed.
I am going tomorrow. my first meeting.

Mizzuno 10-07-2012 07:27 PM

GO!
It cant hurt. Its 1 hr. There is free coffee and chairs to sit in. You dont have to talk. All that is required is a desire to quit drinking. Listen and see if you can relate. Ask for a call list. Im sure you will get a warm welcome from people who seriously understand what you are going through.

If you dont go to AA hang out on here and talk with us. This forum has been instrumental for me in my recovery. You are not alone.

Itchy 10-07-2012 07:29 PM

The second you realize what is going on at the AA meeting it is like great weight has been removed. To be able to speak honestly with people who understand and been there, well, priceless. On top of that knowing they see only what you can be and don't care about judging your past.

No one has ever been cooked and eaten at any AA meeting that I ever heard of, the odds are you'll love it. Also remember that every meeting group in different places has a different feel to them. If you don't feel perfectly comfortable after your second meeting at one place, try another group! Go 15 minutes early and talk to some of the folks and let them know you are there for your first meeting.

I would be dead today, I am sure, had I not found SR and my wonderful AA home group. And of course my family and docs and counselors. If I could do it you can too.

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:33 PM

thank u Miz. what is a call list? do i ask after the meeting? i am so worried about doing something 'wrong' at the meeting.

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:35 PM

Itchy ... thank u for making me laugh. and i luv ur profile pic!

suki44883 10-07-2012 07:37 PM

When I went to my very first meeting, a woman came up to me and offered to be my temporary sponsor. She gave me a list of phone numbers and gave me a copy of the AA book and told me I could pay for it at the next meeting. These people WANT to help you.

Sapling 10-07-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkelina (Post 3614148)
I guess what I really just want to hear is that it will be okay. That going to a meeting will be safe and good. Im sorry if I am being overly needy. I know its my job to get myself sober. I just feel so alone.

I can promise you this....You will meet some incredibly nice people...That have done what you want to do...If you are willing to follow their suggestions....Do what they did....You will have a life you never dreamed was possible....Without alcohol. I'm living proof of that. It will be okay.

Missy7 10-07-2012 07:41 PM

You have to go. I'm not a pro at AA but it seems that the groups thrive on newbies. They are generally not pushy and if you just say that you are under thirty days they will guide you. You will probably not be able to get a word in edgewise so you don't have to worry about talking.

Even though I don't think AA is the best route for me, I am always moved by the very good intentions of the members and have always enjoyed the meetings.

sugarbear1 10-07-2012 07:41 PM

Chicago AA | AA Meetings Chicago | Chicago Alcoholics Anonymous

Call and talk to one of us at the Chicago intergroup office. They'll also let you know if a meeting still exists!

You can do this for YOU!! :)

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:45 PM

Hi suki.... thank u. i sure hope that someone will reach out to me. Ill do my best to let it be known that i am open to it.

Itchy 10-07-2012 07:46 PM

Sparkelina,
I was pretty nervous too my first time. I went to AA before here and wish someone had told me to go early and talk to some of the attendees who had been in it for awhile. You don't have to say anything except to raise your hand when they ask if anybody is there for the first time. I actually expected everyone to be either homeless and trashy or churchy and judgmental. Thank goodness they were just like me. It really is amazing to be able to be perfectly honest and not feel judged.

Please come back and let us know how it went. And remember how you feel tomorrow so you can pass along some tips to other frightened and desperate people that there is hope and help. You are not alone anymore

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:47 PM

Missy and Sapling... thank u so much. i am so happy that u guys r reaching out to me!

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:49 PM

itchy.... i promise.

Sapling 10-07-2012 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkelina (Post 3614197)
Missy and Sapling... thank u so much. i am so happy that u guys r reaching out to me!

You want to see people reaching out to you....Wait till you walk through those doors....I knew I was home.

Mizzuno 10-07-2012 07:51 PM

A call list is a list with meeting times and phone numbers of members. You can call the numbers at anytime just to talk.... I would walk in and introduce myself to the first person I saw and let them know that i was new. Let the person take it from there.
I think that the idea is more scary than the experience itself. Once i was in the rooms, I was very comfortable. You will do well. Let us know how it goes.

Sparkelina 10-07-2012 07:57 PM

Hi Sugarbear.... i did call chicago aa & talked to someone for 45 mins. it went well until i felt overly pressured to walk out the door when i just couldnt do so. however i did secure meeting info and he was a nice person who just wanted to help me.

freshstart57 10-07-2012 07:57 PM

I received a wonderful warm welcome from some very generous and kind people at AA. I am sure you will too. I didn't have to do anything but show up and smile, they did the rest for me. It might be just what you need.