Notices

Day 4

Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Feeling much better today, still zero desire to drink. My detox was not too bad, I slept through most of it. I still get some morning nausea but it passes quickly. My parents are helping me to get my house back in order and now I need to get my thoughts back in order. On tuesday I go to see my GP and tomorrow I am calling about outpatient rehab.

I'm scared and nervous about that but I need all the help I can get because I know that once I feel 100% physically it gets harder not to drink. If I can make it to the 30 day mark I know from experience that it gets much easier.

Does anyone here in recovery have a spouse who drinks? Mine does and I worry that it will threaten my sobriety at some point.

Thank you all for your support these past days!
Anne
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on Day Three and my spouse drinks but it not an alkie. Plus our adult children drink, so I understand the pressures you are under. Will your spouse be supportive of your efforts?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's a daily drinker, several glasses of bourbon. I'd say he's a very functional alcoholic. I loathe bourbon however so that's at least a plus. He is very supportive of me and my attaining sobriety.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My wife drinks daily qwerrt. I try and use it as a motivation. she doesn't accept it as a fact that she has a problem with alcohol, and every evening when she opens the first beer I look at her and think, when I was drinking that was me. Everyone looked at me drinking daily and knew, but I was oblivious.

It is a terrible thing to say about my wife, but being 15 days sober it kind of disgusts me to watch her drink every day, and that gives me additional resolve to not go back to it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Colorado Man, I know what you mean...I see him reach for the rocks glass as soon as he walks in the door and the smell of the bourbon makes me want to wretch. Thing is, he *does* know he's an alcoholic, but he doesn't want to stop/doesn't see it as being a problem yet. Several of his colleagues are falling down drunks and getting in fights on weekend, but he is just mellow and stays at home so he figures it is ok for now. I think the main reason I'm worried that it will be a threat to my sobriety is that eventually I will be watching him do that 'unwinding' thing and think, gosh it would be nice to do that with a big glass of red wine....but unwinding with one glass of wine for me ends up blacking out by about the 6th or 7th month of "moderating"; I know this from experience. I just need some more tools in my toolbox at this point, hence the outpatient help I'm going to try to get.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi qwerrt

I think a lot of our members deal with that - it's a challenge sure, but it needn't be a dealbreaker

You'll always find support here

D