Notices

Anyone here ever had a DUI ?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm on probation for one now. In Mass they have something called a continuance without a finding, which basically means that if I comply with probation, it's dismissed in a year. I am also (ironically) a criminal defense attorney, so if you have any questions about what to expect in court or anything like that, shoot me a message. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I received a DWI a few years ago and even though it didnt stop me from drinking right away, it did stop me from ever drinking a driving ever again. Cabs are the way to go. Even a $50 cab ride home beats the $8000 + you will spend on your DUI. Take this expereince as a lesson or a reminder if I may, that life is precious, and can so quickly be taken from us if we are not more careful. Dont worry about other people judging you. If they are, they are not good people to have in your life. Worry about making yourself happy. Like I said I unfortunately didnt stop drinking after my DWI, but I have stopped drinking today, and today is better than never. Maybe this can be your day too!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In most states the first offense is meant with leniency if no one was injured. You can almost certainly help yourself if you agree to/volunteer for treatment. If that's what happens I hope you make the most of it. I know several guys that were sent to court mandated treatment but just went through the motions to satisfy the court and went back out and got other DUIs.

I was popped for DUI back in the mid 90's. I was barely over, just got stopped because I was lost and rolled a red light. When arrested I was compliant and respectful so the officer advised me to apologize to the judge and request to be allowed to plead to reckless driving. The officer said he'd back me up. I did so and thus avoided getting a DUI on my record. I wish it could say it made me quit drinking but at least it kept me from driving drunk (never did so again).

It sounds like this might be your "rock bottom." The fact that you're here means you realize you can't go on like this anymore. If you're ready to stop you have people here who can advise and listen.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Laws are much stiffer than they were even 10 years ago. My reckless op's were in Texas and Cali.. and that was in the early 90's/.

Dui's all 3 were in Ohio. And they never come off your record. And if you blow over .15 they can go for a double offense..

I wouldnt wish upon anyone the things I have endured on the last one, but I am grateful it was the one that lead me to the rooms of AA. Next month on the fourth I will be off of 2 year probation with alcohol and drug testing.. A month in county jail, and wound up in the ICU at the Cleveland Clinic due to detoxing. And so much more ...

I really do hope you got "it".
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well I haven't gotten a DUI but probably could have several times and I'm been more than lucky. Someone was watching out for me. Good luck to you. I'm glad no direct harm was done to others. I don't know about you, but I couldn't have lived with myself if I had done harm to others so although it may seem harsh to say, know the situation could be worse.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am overwhelmed with your respones and willingness to share your experiences. I can't thank you enough.