Advice welcome please

Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dao

Thank you. I know I've written a lot.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I quit at 52 and was a 750ml a day cheap vodka drinker for a very long time. While I am not a marathon runner and have a few extra pounds I feel better than I ever have.

Unfortunately your main problem is that you are still drinking. IMO I would do something about that first. The body will follow healthy life style choices.

AA worked for me
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Dao

I haven't been to AA, though not against it. I currently have a job I really enjoy, I'm very lucky in a way, though can not fully appreciate it given my alcohol abuse. It can be stressful at times however, and it is kind if when this all started in a way, but it's more about me having to take some life responsibility as opposed to putting off life or jobs that I'm good at. Anyway, I largely work business hrs, most meetings or councelors tend to schedule during the day.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Dao View Post
I haven't been to AA, though not against it. I currently have a job I really enjoy, I'm very lucky in a way, though can not fully appreciate it given my alcohol abuse. It can be stressful at times however, and it is kind if when this all started in a way, but it's more about me having to take some life responsibility as opposed to putting off life or jobs that I'm good at. Anyway, I largely work business hrs, most meetings or councelors tend to schedule during the day.
I have no idea where you live but I absolutely positively garentee that there is an AA meeting that will fit your schedule 7 days a week. Short of living in Northern Sibera (Not even sure about that) there is a meeting.

Put as much effort into your recovery as you do your drinking and you will beat your addiction.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Dao

Good word. I'm sure there are AA meetings, think I more meant one on one councelors that local help lines provide to have one on ones.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have spent $10,000+ on professionals. AA is the only thing that worked, it costs a buck, usually you get free coffee, and sometimes treats not to mention the best group of people that exist.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AA has worked for many, Dao. There are other non 12 step options to AA as well, and SR has a whole forum where these are discussed. If you drop by the Secular Connections forum, there will be supportive folks there too.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
AA has worked for many, Dao. There are other non 12 step options to AA as well, and SR has a whole forum where these are discussed. If you drop by the Secular Connections forum, there will be supportive folks there too.
I am a big fan of AVRT. While it was not enough to keep me sober long term (I was one sick puppy) it is a very valuable tool in your bag of tricks
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dao View Post
I haven't been to AA, though not against it.
I was against it...For way too long. I just got to a point I couldn't live like that anymore and I went. I knew I was in the right place when I got there. You should try a couple...Just go and listen...It's free.
Here's a site that gives a good overview on it...Good luck to you...This site is great for online support....I needed more than that....I needed to be around people like me...And still do.

Your First AA Meeting<

If you try it....Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I am a big fan of AVRT. While it was not enough to keep me sober long term (I was one sick puppy) it is a very valuable tool in your bag of tricks
I am obviously a big fan too, MIRecovery. Since you know the drill, I think you know that the voice that says AVRT was not enough to keep you sober can only come from one place, right? Yep, that was your addiction talking to you, telling you that you were too sick to do that for yourself, doing everything it could to keep that hope of drinking again alive. Addictive Voice in action once again.

One way or the other, it is great to see you on the upside of sobriety. That is what really counts. Congratulations!