Notices

Cant do this alone

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant do this alone

My family is away this week, and I have the house to myself. I have tried twice to quit and failed both times. I feel sometimes my hubbie keeps me honest, when alone, and my 3 year old daughter not here, and therefore I am not hurting anyone else, its very hard.

I need them to return before I can do this. I know thats an excuse, but I really need my partner here to help me the first few days. Does that seem legitmate or another excuse?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At some point you will have to want to be sober for you - as in, when you are all alone, you will care enough about yourself to not want to keep poisoning your mind and body. When you are drinking, you are diminishing yourself, therefore you are hurting others because you will not be able to be the mother and partner that you want to be.

I know it is hard. You can do this. Why put it off?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldn't do it alone either Avra....Then I found out I didn't have to. I hooked up with the best support group I could get...Alcoholics doing what I wanted to do....Pretty simple when you think about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's no time like the present.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally relate to everything that you're going through, Avra. Quitting drinking is such a lonely process, and it can be hard to get the support that you need when you're a mother isolated at home alone. I, too, have thought that this isolation made it all to hard and have used this as an excuse to keep drinking. Having said that, I've been imprisoned in a self-defeating cycle and need to muster up some courage so that I can break free from it. I am on day one and really want to do it this time.

The inspiration and encouragement from members on this forum might just give you the support that you need for the first few days. After that, it might help you to find some face-to-face support from others, either through AA or Smart Recovery meetings. The social support that you'll find at meetings will help you to sustain your recovery and to break the loneliness. I have resisted doing this myself for a long time, but know that this is what I need.

Keep posting on here and know that there are countless others who have at one time shared your pain. I wish you the best!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, with all gentleness and care, that's an excuse Avra.

Getting sober is hard - we have to really want it, and we have to be prepared to stay sober no matter what.

We have to be prepared to do whatever it takes.

It's an internal job - it has to be...outside things can change...but an internal commitment is constant

That doesn't mean we have to do it alone - there's a ton of support here and elsewhere,...

but a recovery that's dependent on our loved ones being around is not fair to them, or to us.

Your addiction is playing with your mind - it's using your loneliness and self doubt to make you think you can't do this.

That's a lie.

I believe you can do this...you just have to believe it too, avra...and i think it would be a great idea to go look for some more support

Finding more support, dumping out what you have left, and spending the rest of the week sober would be a great start to the week after, and your family return I think

D
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

agree with nonblondechef.... why not give it a whirl and see if you actually could do it by yourself. you might surprise yourself
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

already failed.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I disagree.

Thats classic alcoholic thinking...I've drunk already...therefore I've 'failed'...therefore I'll drink for the rest of the week.

huh?

I did that hundreds of times...I was never glad I did it, afterwards.

Be smarter than me Avra - it's never too late to stop.

D