Notices

When you feel foggy...

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When you feel foggy...

So I'm 78 days sober, and on the whole, I feel insanely better. The not waking up with a hangover, the lack of guilt over anything stupid I may have done, the anxiety, all of that is better. What I wonder about are times when you feel at an impasse, or when the rainbow has sort of worn off a little. Like life is better, but you're still frustrated, or bored, or out of it (foggy is how I describe it). In the past these were times when I'd drink, and it was like resetting, or starting over, even with all the negative reprucussions. I guess I'm talking about the urge to drink, but it's different than that too. Sort of a hole, or a need for something and you're not quite sure what it is or how to deal with it (and I figure dealing with the spiritual side of things might matter here).
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Having a shower takes me away from my thoughts and mental disquiet and puts me right into enjoying now. The ritual also has some comfort to it .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whenever I think again that a drink is a viable solution to any of my problems, I know I'm thinking wrong.

There's *always* another solution - one that will actually solve the problem, not just push it to one side for a night (if we're lucky).

Exercise is a good cure all for me, or music, or laughter, being with friends...

Other solutions may take a bit of looking for, but it's worth the time and effort

In the longer term - I had a void in me too - I tried to fill it with various things over the decades...nothing worked...*healing* the void did.

Service work was a great benefit to me and still is

I think everyone feels frustrated or bored or out of it at some time, alcoholic addict or not, eda.

For the alcoholic, it can tend to be a crisis...one of those self generated crises we used to drink for...for others it's just a bad day I think?

D
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I have heard countless stories from friends in my program of recovery who describe this feeling and say that when they feel it, it is a suggestion to them that they need to do more work in their program.

I ty to keep things fresh by attending meetings, working with other alcoholics, reading literature, talking with my sponsor, trying a new hobby or activity I have not tried before, praying, meditating, listening to music, riding my bicycle, etc. These activities increase my spirituality and growth as a human being. I have found that the more I increase my spirituality and grow as a human being, the more fullfilled I feel and the less I want to drink.