Notices

Day 6 and my eyes are open!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and my eyes are open!

Hi friends...I have come to learn many things these past 6 days and one thing I have learned is that alcoholics and drug addicts are amongst all of us. This place we all meet called Sober Recovery has been my saving grace. You are all so incredible and we come together from all walks of life, from all regions of the world, all age groups and it feels like Christmas day. We are respectful, kind and helpful. We may be the ones that the rest of the world sees as the "messed up ones" but if everyday everyone could be as understanding and forgiving as we are in this forum the world would surely be a better place. I want to thank each and every one of you that have been here for me through my hard 6 day journey. Many of you I have spoken to and leaned on, others I have read your struggles...and I also want to thank the ones I have not had the pleasure of crossing paths with...just because you are amongst us. We are all wonderful people striving to be the best we can be and that in itself is an incredible thing.

Now on to how I am doing lol....I woke up this morning feeling the best so far. I am alert and ready to start my day. I should not have stepped on the scale this morning because it shot me back a nasty look. I did what I had to do the last 6 days to get by. I drove to get McDonalds last night...why? Because it was better than driving to the liquor store. I pigged out yesterday and the day before, why? because it was better than driving to the liquor store. The weight is the least of my concerns at this point but today I don't have the urge to fill the void. I might tomorrow but for today I don't, or rather this minute I don't because really that is all we can live for. I just took a break from listening to music and cleaning my house which has been left to die all week. I am ready to pick that part up too. I am also ready to go out and pamper myself today. I need a pick me up. I have drank my own money away which many of you can relate to, so my incredible boyfriend is treating me to a salon day. I am not looking forward to seeing the chubby face looking back at me as she does my hair...but I am soooo looking forward to looking at a face in the mirror that has succeeded. A face that can be proud. That's my face...my face...I have to keep saying it because it feels wonderful. I am so proud of all of you and on day 1 I said to someone I can't wait to get to day 6. Well here I am. I will be day 15, I will be day 30 I will be day 90 because I have proven to myself that I can do this and want this more than anything. I want all of you to have the best day you can, whatever that means for you. For those on day 1 it will be your best day because you are sober, for those on day 200 it will be your best day because you are still sober. I love this place and I am starting to learn than I can love me. Even if we think we don't love ourselves...a small voice inside of us knows we do or we wouldn't be here. We want better for ourselves because we genuinely care about us. Those are my thoughts today. Have a good one
Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

We're a raggedy bunch. But we are a caring raggedy bunch. We have known pain and joy on a more thorough level than people without addictions. We are more in touch with our emotions. We possess a desire to help other people get what we have. And we do anything to help them.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great work on 6 days missingtheoldme, sounds like you won't be missing it for long. Addiction is a fact of life unfortunately, keep up the good work.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, and congrats on your 6 days. That's wonderful.

Don't worry about all that eating. That will change. I ate like a pig when I first got sober. An angel food cake in one sitting was my favorite. But eventually my life filled up with life, and eating wasn't my outlet. I started running, I met tons of great people in AA that I would do thing with.
Your life will begin to open up and you'll find new interests you didn't know you had.

Keep the faith.