Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Obbviously new here, and my go to person is in denial of her own alcohol problem...

Notices

Obbviously new here, and my go to person is in denial of her own alcohol problem...

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've known for awhile now that I may have a problem with alcohol....I've been around a few people who have owned up to their alcoholism and got help, so here I am.

I drink every other night, (hence my screenname) I have been watching ALOT of Intervention episodes (even downloaded ALL the Canadian Interventions)
I have since realized that although I don't drink all day every day, that I need to get my drinking under control now, before it's too late.

My BFF also drinks every other day, but she is in denial, says she only goes thru a $6 bottle of vodka in 3 weeks, but that is simply not the case, I know she is lying to me.....

So tonight, she told me that she simply "cannot afford" detox and won't justify it simply because I stated that I have a problem and want her to help me...

How do i bring her on board with me? Or do i have to just go at this alone?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's important you focus on yourself and your own recovery. You can't control your best friends behavior. If she isn't walling to admit to herself that she has a problem there isn't much you can do.

You know YOU have a problem so what are you going to do about that?

Are your ready to stop drinking?

Welcome to SR you'll find a lot of help here!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You can only fix you. Actions are the only example you can do..

And as far as not being able to afford detox, well thats just a excuse. She could go detox for free.

So welcome aboard. Read and post.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome EOD

As others have said you can only control your own recovery. As for doing it alone, there's always someone around SR, let us be your rock and your go to people. There's enough of us that I'm pretty sure we can help hold you up until you can carry yourself again. Also read around and you'll find there are many recovery programs to help you move forward.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

You can't get your friend on board if she doesn't want to stop.

If you get involved in your recovery you won't be alone for long.