Notices

Telling my alcoholic father I'm an alcoholic...

Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling my alcoholic father I'm an alcoholic...

It hit me two weeks ago that I had a major problem. I had woken up from a night that I don't remember. My husband was talking about events that had happened that night and I couldn't remember a thing. I began to panic...and panic I did for about two weeks. I continued to binge drink, and feel horrible amounts if guilt in the morning. Last Wednesday was the final straw. I had been on a binge, woke up at 2:30 puking my guts out and in a full blown anxiety attack. I called in sick to work and called my mom. Immediately she knew something was wrong. And I unloaded on her. She thought all the years I drank "socially". She was floored when I told her it was a full blown problem.

My dad is 25 years sober. He talks about his recovery a lot. My mom first suggested that I talk to him. I couldn't do it. I could not after 28 years of listening to him tell me how bad alcoholism is go tell him I am an alcoholic. I had visions of this sad disappointed face looking back at me and I just couldn't do it!
I got in my car, and it steered itself to his house. My mom was there and had told him I was coming over to talk. He was back on the patio table (where we do our most serious talking) waiting for me. We bagan taking about my stress in life that is piling up. How stressed I am with work and school and how I'm not managing my anxiety very well at all lately. I then I just said it...just blurted out, I'm drinking...A LOT. I couldn't even look at him in the face. And all he replied is, well, is it helping? I said no, it's making my life worse. And he said, well, there's your answer. We talked, we cried, he sobbed, I sobbed, he gave me a book and we read certain pages together. How wrong was I to think he would me mad, or judge me? The weight that has been lifted from my shoulders is indescribable. I hid things for so long and the emotional burden I carried became too much. We talked for hours. And when I left he made me promise to call him when I felt like a drink. He wants to see me get some serious help and will do anything I can to help me do that.

This man can make me crazy at times. He can be difficult, and rude and selfish. But when I was at my lowest of lows, he gave me encouragmeng and hope. Yesterday will be a memory I will cherish forever. I view my father in a completely different way now. I feel strong and confident about my recovery because I've got him on my side.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you have your family's support.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was a lovely post Erin! I'm so happy it turned out that way for you (and your father).

I agree about unburdening ourselves. No one in my family would have understood, but here at SR when I came clean I felt such a relief. It meant everything to not be alone any more.

Happy for you - everything's going to be alright.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Family support will go a long way in helping you in recovery.

Welcome to Sobriety!

Love and hugs,
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hevyn - I think it's important to come clean with someone...anyone! The relief you feel is a wonderful, empowering feeling. Glad you have done that here! Beat wishes to you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Erin,
My dad has a 38 year sobriety record. I told him I'd stopped drinking alcohol in June and he had tears in his eyes. He'd been worried about my wine consumption. I'm attending a family wedding next week with an open bar and lots of wine. I'm sticking close to my Dad
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have often wondered how that conversation would have gone with my father. He died of cirrhosis, but I don't think he ever considered himself an alcoholic. When he died, I hadn't yet crossed that line, but in the years since, I have often thought about talking to him about my own alcoholism.

I am so glad to know that your father is sober and that you were able to have that talk with him. I'm sure he will be valuable support for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pondlady - that's exactly where I would be too! It is really amazing how much you need your parents even when you're an adult. I'm so grateful for them. I'm sure you're just as grateful for your dad too.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I have often wondered how that conversation would have gone with my father. He died of cirrhosis, but I don't think he ever considered himself an alcoholic. When he died, I hadn't yet crossed that line, but in the years since, I have often thought about talking to him about my own alcoholism.

I am so glad to know that your father is sober and that you were able to have that talk with him. I'm sure he will be valuable support for you.
I'm very sorry your were not able to talk to him about your struggles. Life is so hard and unfair sometimes. I wish I would stop making it more complicated for myself.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that your talk went so well with your dad! I'm sure he has a lot of wisdom to share!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took my dad and I 30 years to get together but we did. Every day is a chance.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My father died of alcohol poisoning--probably. He had been to AA but certainly didn't work a program. I'm guessing he did not think of himself as an alcoholic. So I doubt we could have had that conversation. What is important is that I become a different kind of alcoholic than he was. I need to be the type that owns up.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
My father died of alcohol poisoning--probably. He had been to AA but certainly didn't work a program. I'm guessing he did not think of himself as an alcoholic. So I doubt we could have had that conversation. What is important is that I become a different kind of alcoholic than he was. I need to be the type that owns up.
I'm very sorry about your father. I'm sure it was hard to watch him live that way. It's good you recognize what you need to do to get healthy. Best wishes!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm so glad your talk with your dad went so well. It must feel like such a relief.

I miss my dad. Being sober is letting me think about him and mourn him more. I did a lot of numbing with booze when he passed away.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great to hear!

My father is an active alcoholic with no desire for recovery, so I'm not even planning having a conversation with him about my alcoholism.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This post is absolutely beautiful.

My father and I had an understanding that we both knew we were alcoholics and we both kept our mouths shut about it... being daddys little girl was hard when I couldn't share with him the thing that was hurting us both so badly. He passed two years ago at age 42 without us ever talking about it too much in depth.

You're very lucky and I am very very happy you have your family's support.

God Bless
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin View Post
This post is absolutely beautiful.

My father and I had an understanding that we both knew we were alcoholics and we both kept our mouths shut about it... being daddys little girl was hard when I couldn't share with him the thing that was hurting us both so badly. He passed two years ago at age 42 without us ever talking about it too much in depth.

You're very lucky and I am very very happy you have your family's support.

God Bless
Thank you for commenting on my post. I know what you mean about being daddy's little girl. I'm the youngest and have always shared a special bond with my dad. I always have felt like I need to hide things from him though because I couldn't stand him ever being disappointed in me! Our conversation yesterday was a real eye opener. He sees me as an adult, not a little girl. We can actually have adult conversations now. We may not agree on certain issues, but I finally feel like I can be open and honest with him, and know he still love me no matter what.

I'm very sorry you were not able to talk to your father about the pain you both were feeling. I'm sure that has been difficult for you. I'm sure if he were here though, he would be extremely happy to see you getting help and getting healthy. Best wishes to you.