Notices

Facing things I've been avoiding

Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facing things I've been avoiding

Hi everyone!
Today marks 2 weeks sober for me, and I feel good. I've been having intense cravings for the past 2 days but I've managed to stay sober.
I'm starting to think about the things I've been avoiding. I owe several thousand dollars in student loans, and I haven't finished my degree. I have started and stopped school 3 times in the past few years. Mostly because my son is ill and everytime I quit he was hospitalized for extended periods and I just couldn't deal. The loan people want their money. They have actually sent me the paperwork for a defferment twice, but I just haven't dealt with it. Lately I've been avoiding their calls. I just have a very hard time dealing with things that scare me or that I know I have screwed up. But I have decided today is the day I call them and ask for a defferment until I can afford to get back into school. I just don't know what to say. Has anyone else had to face things that they avoided while drinking? I'm sure almost everyone has so silly question. Just need some advice on how to handle this.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I owed several thousand pounds a few years back .. It was a lot better once i'd sorted it out than the worry before .. try to do a bit each day and try to do something healthily relaxing at the end of the day.

If you're anything like me the money situation sorts itself out after an extended period of sobriety when we are better able to choose and do the right thing .

I wish you well, M
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I recently had to declare bankruptcy. It's hard to deal with stuff like that when you are recovering. I found the best way to deal with it was to write a last of one or two things a day that I was going to force myself to do. So on a Monday I would make sure I rang two companies to discuss options. By the end of the week you've done loads and you can do it at the beginning of the day so you don't have to spend the rest of the day worrying about it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I still have about $5,000 of debt I need to clear up. When I was drinking I wouldn't even open my mail.. now i'm so overwhelmed with everything. It's hard.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's hard learning how to live isn't it lol.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 weeks Ca!

Don't let these things overwhelm you. Do what you can but don't let it become your priority. You can't eat an elephant whole, and your sobriety has to come first. I had loads of stuff that kept popping up early on, but you know what, it can wait. First things first and all that x
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Take it a day at a time. You sole focus has to be your sobriety. Do what you can do today and tomorrow is tomorrow
Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've learned it's best to approach people, explain your difficulties and make payment plans, ca.

D