Notices

21 days... No alcohol, no soda. Day 2 no smoking ciggs

Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days... No alcohol, no soda. Day 2 no smoking ciggs

Hi SR! So it has been 21 days ago that I decided I had enough with the drinking. Everything has been going so much better. Energy, family, so, so much positive. I remember that cloudy Friday morning saying to myself I need SR for help! If I really don't want drinking in my life I need help.... So here I am 3 weeks later saying.... You are my rock and so supportive with all of us newbys and like I said before. I hope you know the impact you do on me. Also everyone who just joined us new people and the people that been here for so long.... All of your post are such a help for me so thank you and keep posting.

So, I bought the patches and today is day number 2 with no ciggs. Of course have not seen the benefits of not smoking but I am trying. Well, again SR family Hugs and high fives to all of you........

clight
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 weeks Clight - and best of luck with the no smoking

D
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats keep going strong
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally respect your abstinence commitment, but be careful with how many things you try to give up at once, it can in some cases lead to massive multiple relapses.
I was given this advice by a very wise old fellow in AA. He told me to concern myself with what was going to kill me the quickest, the alcohol, and worry about the cigs later, after I had some credible and stable sober time.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I was also told to leave the cigs until I had sorted my other stuff out.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Huey View Post
I totally respect your abstinence commitment, but be careful with how many things you try to give up at once, it can in some cases lead to massive multiple relapses.
I was given this advice by a very wise old fellow in AA. He told me to concern myself with what was going to kill me the quickest, the alcohol, and worry about the cigs later, after I had some credible and stable sober time.
Hi Huey

I totally agree with you! But I am determined with the drinking this time and what ever I have to do not to drink I WILL. The ciggs I am just trying and I am not determined for now... just want to try. If I feel it is going to be to much.... back to ciggs I will go. I will keep everyone posted
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Good attitude. You shouldn't see giving up everything as the be all and end all. I still smoke tobacco. But you know I don't do cocaine or booze anymore so I say I've done pretty well lol.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Morning all. I am on day 4 sober and also tried to quit smoking every time I have quit drinking. This time I didn't have a cigarette for the first two days but had one on day three just to kill the urge and two last night. Like Huey said, I think trying both led to past relapses because I thought the two went together so if I gave on one, I was in it. I do want to quit smoking but am taking it one battle at a time. I find now that the urges I am having are really the cigs, not the beer.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Way to go on 3 weeks!!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello,

First of all congratulations!
I like Huey's advice too.

For me it went a bit like this:

I quit drinking for about 8 months in 2010, was still smoking & allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted (sugar cravings) for the first few weeks.

Then back to drinking (less a least, but amount creeping u again) & smoking

Then I quit smoking 21st of march 2011 (was still drinking), again I allowed myself to eat what I wanted for a while again and now I'm smoke-free for 1 1/2 years and also alcohol-free for about 7 1/2 months.

I think I had to be secure enough in one thing in order to tackle the next
Good luck on your journey! :-))
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow!! I am impressed!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks!! Also on your attitude, it's over and that's that.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clight View Post
Hi SR! So it has been 21 days ago that I decided I had enough with the drinking. Everything has been going so much better. Energy, family, so, so much positive. I remember that cloudy Friday morning saying to myself I need SR for help! If I really don't want drinking in my life I need help.... So here I am 3 weeks later saying.... You are my rock and so supportive with all of us newbys and like I said before. I hope you know the impact you do on me. Also everyone who just joined us new people and the people that been here for so long.... All of your post are such a help for me so thank you and keep posting.

So, I bought the patches and today is day number 2 with no ciggs. Of course have not seen the benefits of not smoking but I am trying. Well, again SR family Hugs and high fives to all of you........

clight
Congrats! I gave up everything all at once, Luckily I had a old timer sponsor who supported that idea. To me, Smoking and Drinking went hand it hand. To each his own, but I am 4 years free from everything and I would not want it any other way.

AA founders and so many Sober Alcoholics died from Smoking related causes , if you have the ability to give it all up then it would be highly suggested

Actually there is a lot of new scientific literature which supports the stopping of Alcohol and Smoking simultaneously now!

From the NIAA
Cigarette smoking and nicotine dependence commonly co-occur with alcohol dependence. However, treatment for tobacco dependence is not routinely included in alcohol treatment programs, largely because of concerns that addressing both addictions concurrently would be too difficult for patients and would adversely affect recovery from alcoholism. To the contrary, research shows that smoking cessation does not disrupt alcohol abstinence and may actually enhance the likelihood of longer-term sobriety. Smokers in alcohol treatment or recovery face particular challenges regarding smoking cessation. Researchers and clinicians should take these circumstances into account when determining how best to treat these patients’ tobacco dependence.
NIAAA Publications: Smoking Cessation and Alcohol Abstinence: What Do the Data Tell Us?