Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I am ending day 4 and can't stop eating and everything irritates me

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is day 4 for me and so far I have been doing well...first couple of days were rough, yesterday I was distant and anxious. The last 2 days I can't stop eating, I feel like a cow and I don't like people. I don't want to hear them or see them. I usually talk to my boyfriend several times a day but his voice bothers me. My sons chewing bothers me. I want to kick the dog and I have never been violent and love my dog. I hate my house, I hate my hair...everything. I want to scream and tell everyone to f off. This is totally not my nature. Is this really who I am?? Was I masking my true self or is this withdrawal. I generally am so easy going, love and care for everyone. I feel like I causing different harm now instead of drinking because I am snotty and short tempered. What do I do and will it go away. Please help...much thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think what you are experiencing is normal...I felt that way too the first week. I was angry at nothing and cried at everything. I am on day 16 now and feeling those emotions to a lesser degree. Hang in there and keep venting here. It only gets better ((hugs))
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks quit...I am trying. Congrats on 16 days..way to go!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! You'll get here soon I screamed in my car while driving the other day. I actually added at the end of my rant "I want to drink" After that, I felt better. I got it off my chest and was able to move on. May sound silly but whatever works!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was like that too. Totally normal. Hang in there and congrats on 4 days!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Definitely normal, and it will pass. I'm at a little over 2 months and the non stop hunger is just starting to slow down. I think part of it is substitution for the addiction, and part is that your body is healing and needs the nourishment.
It also seems to need gummy bears, oreos, and ice cream lol

I also had less patience for everything, especially early on. Things that normally I might not even notice were magnified and aggravating. I think a lot of us are people pleasers in general, and ignore what we need ourselves. When we don't feel ashamed and guilty for drinking anymore we lose some of the part of us that was always doing extra to make up for it. Don't worry, you'll be nice again in the future

Your hair will look better too!!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey missing - i am totally going through the same stuff - i CANT STOP EATING!!! I think it is just pure withdrawl and our bodies missing something it is used to is all - keep it!!! day 5 was better than day 4 for me, though i did wake up cranky today
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It does get better! I've always been extremely pissed when I first stop drinking. I'm mad at the whole world because of a choice I decided to make! My longest time sober in the last year was 30 days ( I'm praying I won't ever have to say that again) but each time I have tried it gets much easier after the first week. Especially after the first weekend or whenever you would have normally drank.

Keep posting and reading, try not to hit the dog

You can do this!!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How strange. I'm on day 9 and very angry today and also pigging out on candy. I am of the mindset that anything weird in the first 30-days is normal. Mood-swings, weird twitches in the middle of the night, itchy skin, candy craving, using too much coffee, etc.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much for your support and sharing your experiences. Once again I feel understood by all of you. hugs
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i had a lot of mood swings early on. even now (coming up on 7 months) i have days where i just am moody. if i'm lucky enough to recognize it, i give my husband fair warning and just let him know it's going to be one of "those" days and i'm not going to be much in the mood for conversation. basically, lemme get my stuff done today and get outta my way. it's perfectly ok. all part of recovery.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ugh hunny it is withdrawal.
You will know when you are back you your old self. It might take a while but whatever you do, do not re-set the clock.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You are saying goodbye to your best friend.. Withdrawl sucks. But you will find so much about yourself in this process.

Keep coming here and reading and posting..
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Inda, laceup and displaced...it does suck and yes I feel like I have lost my best friend. How messed up does that sound. they weren't much of a friend. I hope today is better. Have a great one everyone and congratulations on all your successes and hard work. hugs
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ahh yeah the food thing is definately a substitute for our addictions. You gotta have something right?!?! Which is why most AA meetings tend to look like either a sweet shop or a bakers.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

It's the irritability associated with withdrawal. The first week is the hardest, but it takes time. It took me 25 years of drinking to get me to where I was, it took a while to get right. It's a process. Try to think of it as an adventure.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can totally relate....on day one today, and all I have done is cry, pray, cry, pray, cry, eat, eat, eat, pray and cry....and then logged on to Sober Recovery for some sanity.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is my first day here. I found this site because my husband and I are both quitting drinking at once and together. This morning he said he was feeling depressed and like he had no energy so when I got online to check out withdrawal symptoms, I found this site. I am really looking forward to the support here and to offering any support I can as well.
We are on our 5th day (this time). We quite for almost 5 weeks and then fell back again. I have hope!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck! Day 1 here (again!) but hopefully for the last time. Do either of you use AA or any other programmes?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

totally normal. it only gets better