Notices

How Dare You Say That!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good night Nicky! Yes MIRecovery I totally believe that accepting the things you can't change is a big part of recovery. Guess that's why I'm laughing at the words I use to hear instead of getting boiling mad about it.

Oh, another one I've heard is: "Just don't buy that much at a time."
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by KaeHot323 View Post
Good night Nicky! Yes MIRecovery I totally believe that accepting the things you can't change is a big part of recovery. Guess that's why I'm laughing at the words I use to hear instead of getting boiling mad about it.

Oh, another one I've heard is: "Just don't buy that much at a time."
I have come to the conclusion that it simply is not their fault. We as alcoholics are expecting sane people to understand our insanity. How could they? Why would they understand. I do not even understand sometimes. I tell my wife if she leaves any wine in her glass at a resturant she is commiting alcohol abuse. As we all know you never ever leave any alcohol not drank
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yep! I have to repeat that...It's not their fault...it's not their fault....

Another one: "Give yourself a time of evening in which you cannot drink before then and stick with it."
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The thing that gets to me is not folks trying to get me to drink but lording it over me because they're macho and can "hold their liquor" and the implication is that there's something wrong with me, that I'm a weakling, that I'm not "mature", so they go around the room and ask each person what they'll have and finally turn to me at the end of the line and ask in a loud voice, "AND WHAT WILL YOU HAVE ? ORANGE JUICE???" And then everyone gives that little secret, knowing smile!
Maybe they're sending me a sort of witch message here, tilting the wagon I'm on, secretly hoping that I'll pick up that first drink, so as to confirm their suspicions that I'm not going to make it. That's what J.R used to do to his wife on "Dallas", hoping to get her to pick up so she'd go on a binge and he'd then be able to stash her away in a rehab.
The way to avoid this type of thing is to stay away from that tight little circle of self satisfied drinkers in the first place.

W.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

These same little pieces of advice our friends and family try to give, are the same ones that our addictions try to advise us everytime we have a craving. These are also all the tactics I've tried. I appreciate all you guys input. Next time my addiction says, "Just drink water with it" or "Just have one" I am gonna look at this post and know that I've been there, done that, and now I'm giving back the T-shirt!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

wpainterw Wow! What a thing to go through. Treating you like a kid who can't have any candy. Tell them you're not a kid who got their candy taken away, but an eagle who's wings were strapped down and now you've unstrapped them and are in flight! Who wants to stop an eagle in flight?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

God reading all these comments , only when you get sober do you realise how people are conditioned to think that alcoHELL is a requirement for normal living.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Alcohol isnt/wasnt my drug of choice, but weed is and a few people i know told me "weed isnt addictive"and i didnt think it was either until i quit. I had withdrawals and i still have cravings a year later.