Notices

Sober Halloween

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I live in a neighborhood full of munchkins. Last year we gave away 140 treats. I love it sober. Some of them are so cute.

I still have some problems with the ones with no costumes and look like they are in their early 20's (I'm exaggerating) I think if you have boobs or shave you are likely a little old for holloween.

I have be taught to accept the things I can not change so I do and enjoy the little ones.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have not had a sober Halloween for years....but fingers crossed when it gets here, I will hopefully be enjoying Halloween in Edinburgh, on a ghost walk with my partner, and a dinner in a nice restaurant. And by the grace of God I will hopefully be sober
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Scaring kids ( well not really ) and handing out candy. I rarely actually used on Halloween when my kids were here , in fact this is the first time I won't take them trick or treating in 7 years. The drinking part of Halloween kind of left me quite a while back....but most any other day I could easily find a reason...like hey its a plain old Monday ...insane :-)
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just found a giant bag of minature candy bars, my husband bought. I think they are for Halloween, but can I stop myself from eating them?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
Just found a giant bag of minature candy bars, my husband bought. I think they are for Halloween, but can I stop myself from eating them?
This is not possible for me in my house. The bag would be gone in a day or two. I have a serious sweet tooth that at times I believe needs a intervention.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh man, it's weird.. totally forgot about Halloween. I'm going to be in my jammies with some food and a movie! mm yes yes. sounds lovely.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, I am the same...moderation has never been me...that's why I say not to the first drink, but yes to the first candy bar....Ha, Ha!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've documented my attempts at sobriety off and on for years. If I go back into google calendar I can see all of the marked days and weeks followed by the relapses dating back as far as about 2009, it's very sad to go back and see that.

Halloween of this year will be a very significant holiday, last year I got high, I remember it clearly, this year Halloween falls one day after my twelve week sobriety date, and that will be the longest time I've ever documented sober. I set that day as a sober goal all the way back in August and have been looking forward to it ever since. For some people it might be a trigger, but for me I've put so much significance into it that I know there's no way I'll drink or get high on that day.

I could write a thesis sized paper on how awesome Halloween is but I'll keep it short. Halloween is an awesome holiday because it's low key while still having a great deal of class. You get all the decoration and maybe even some good food, but the parties are optional and you don't feel like you're missing out if you don't go. A holiday like Christmas on the other hand, it's easy to feel trapped and burdened with responsibility and obligations; you have to shop, cook, go to, or even host family gatherings where there will be alcohol, same goes for thanksgiving. In that regard Halloween is really a great middle ground; it comes with a pleasant atmosphere minus all the baggage that the big holidays carry.

As for drinks, I'll probably be sipping on some high quality mountain tea from Taiwan, or maybe down an Arnold Palmer or two. Who says you need alcohol to make good drink?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sadly, my partner and I are hosting a Halloween party at our house again this year. Everyone enjoyed it so much last year that it's been dubbed the new tradition. It was uncomfortable last year. I don't remember if I snuck drinks or not. I do know I wasn't 100% sober during that time period in general. But I remember feeling awkward. Maybe because we were barely in town a month and I was still getting used to the chaos that is her family. But this year I'm going to be sober. I'm already dreading the hours and hours of people in my house. It's ok at first but at some point I can just picture the scene. Maybe one other sober person. The only people that are left are those who want to keep drinking. My partner will drive me insane b/c of the need to be center of attention. It only gets worse with a few drinks. And with her sister around, there's no stopping them. Ordinarily I'd smile and try to ignore it but... my partner and I have had SO many problems recently surrounding alcohol. This is just going to be one more thing. It makes me a little sick to my stomach. I'm at my breaking point with her and our relationship and it's direction.
I'll be out of town the entire week before due to a work conference. I'm seriously considering "missing" my flight and not coming home until Sunday, missing the party. But that will cause so much conflict, too. Cancelling the party would never happen. I'd be shunned by everyone in the family.
So I'm stressing already about how to handle myself with grace during the party. What do I do when I reach the boiling point of irritation and annoyance. How do I not explode...

I'd much prefer the night of candy and movies!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I see your point, this situation could be a trigger to drink. I try to remember I am getting sober for me. I wish others wouldn't drink, but they do and aren't going to stop because I have. Remember your sobriety is to take care of yourself. See, if you can stash away some of your favorite non-alcoholic beverages. Don't offer to be bartender, let someone else make and serve drinks, if you can. If it gets overwhelming, take a time out, go outside walk around a bit or take a long "bathroom break". Not sure if you have any sober friends or acquaintances, if so talk to them about your feelings. If you are able get onto SR and post whats happening/how you feel etc.
Take care...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Silly, is there any room in the house that you can set up like a retreat for yourself for during the party? You could escape the madness. Earphones and an Ipod? Anything to give yourself a break. It sounds like you and your partner are moving in very different directions regarding alcohol which makes it really hard. It's pretty insensitive that she wants to hold the party anyway while you're trying to stay sober, but that's probably one of the issues driving you to the brink. Oy!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This will be my first sober Halloween. It was the last day last year that I drank. Pulling a wagon full of beer and carrying a Bubba keg of wine with my daughter. I knew I was done drinking. I drank that wine and said ..that's it. No more.

I got on SR again and haven't looked back. This year I will go with my daughter sober...I will enjoy e ery minute of it. I won't have to wonder if I am slurring, or which neighbor I can ask to use their bathroom.

Sobriety rocks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I plan on spending the coming weeks taking in the fall... I love it, because we experience it with every one of our senses. The smell of the leaves and fireplaces, the colors, the sounds of the leaves rustling about (and the sounds of distant chainsaws gathering firewood), the flavors of cinnamon and pumpkin and apples, and the chill in the air. I don't know what I'm going to do on Halloween yet... if I stay home I'll give out candy, if I go out it will be to my sister's to help take my little niece and nephew trick or treating. I love the idea of scary movies all night, that sounds like a winner for sure A cup of tea, build a fire & have a date with Netflix!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Watch a DVD I watch every year

Watcher in the Woods,
Bette Davis is in it...great movie!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
HFA

I fell off the wagon last Halloween after 16 months sober. As a pagan (for lack of a better term), Halloween is kinda like a new year. Very big and important. I look forward to ringing in the new year over two months sober.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I will be taking my three kiddos trick or treating. I love flavored tootsie rolls, so I refuse to buy that giant bag they sell or they will be gone!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Halloween will be the end of my first sober year. I'm taking the wife and kids out for trick or treating. Last year I had a savage hangover and the spark of a plan to quit drinking for the next five seconds. My, how things have changed in one year!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
happy cleaning windows

My brother-in-law will be out of the country on business, so I'll be taking my three year old niece trick-or-treating so my sister can stay home and take care of my eight month old niece. Should be exhausting.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of putting special decorations out front this year...more than a few pumpkins, going to get creative...my mind works better now that I'm not drinking...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Newly sober I said yes to a party because I am one of those people that can't miss anything. I have my costume (the theme is 'carnival') I am going as a lion tamer (futuristic).

This party has performances so it's not just an open bar. I am also going alone. I'm concerned as it could go 2 ways - the best time ever or feeling alone in a crowd of strangers.

I am excited for my costume and for the spectacle of a halloween party.