Notices

Can't believe I didn't do this sooner!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't believe I didn't do this sooner!

Many of you know that I moved to TX to be near my partner's family. And since I travel a lot for work, I haven't met anyone aside from neighbors. It's really lonely. I mean, I can't and don't want to tag along constantly with the family that always drinks. I've been getting really down on myself and even though I'm working with my psychiatrist on the depression part, I know I need to do more for myself. I sign up for volunteer work about every other Saturday but that's not enough.

So my neighbor had told me several months ago about this really big pool nearby that has a masters swim team. Now, I'm not huge into swimming but I'm good at it. So yesterday, I go in search of it. I find it at a Jewish community center. I sit there wondering if I can go inside? I'm not Jewish. But I do because I had challenged myself to check this out.

This place is not just a pool. It is an entire oasis! 12 tennis courts, basketball courts, the pool, gym equipment, fitness classes. Someone gave me a tour right away and was really nice. So here I'm thinking the monthly fees are going to be insane. But it's sooooo reasonable I have absolutely no reason not to join. Unless I'm just plain stupid. I'm so excited to have a place to go, not only for fitness and meeting people, but a place to go when my partner heads off with the family and I don't want to go and watch them drink. I can always say "sorry, Zoomba's at 4" or "don't want to stay out late, tennis lesson at 7 am" you get the drift. Plus, hopefully at some point I make a friend or two and have real plans that conflict with theirs.

dropping off the membership agreement after work, paying the fees and I'm good to go!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Excellent. It's wicked when you find stuff that can completely take your mind off other things. It's also good to sometimes have activities that aren't recovery based so you don't get burnt out or overwhelmed by it all. Plus there is obviously the fitness and social side to your new activity. Win-win situation.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds amazing. I am part of a local health club that I haven't been to for ages as I have been too unwell/hungover/demotivated. Well I am back on my recovery full-time and for me I think some form of work out and pampering tlc is well-deserved and needed! Good for you Silly-hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy for you to have found a great place that promotes your new healthy lifestyle. Its so important to focus on yourself and swimming is fun too.