Notices

Missing the conversations

Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Missing the conversations

When I was drinking, I would get into the most deep conversations, sometimes with people I just met, sometimes with close friends. It was like the drinking elevated the small talk to a different level, due to less inhibitions. Philosophy, meaning of life, important stuff. (not that we remembered 80% of it the next day lol) I haven't had a conversation like that in over 2 months and it feels very odd. I feel more shallow sober, less engaged, separate. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I did experience this but I find me and my recovery buds getting engaged in very deep conversations a lot of the time now. I think it's like a mental block. You think it was the booze making you have smart and articulate conversations when in fact it was you. Booze just boosted your confidence.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Simply put - yes.

I am an introvert and shy. I am still learning how to be comfortable in my own skin. I think before speaking now which sometimes takes longer than a few seconds. When someone asks me a question and I don't have the answer stored ready to just spew out, I have to tell them I'll get back to them. I isolate myself, especially if I'm going through a low stage of depression. I rather not argue with people so if a conversation turns in that direction, a lot of times, I slowly back out of it instead of trying to intelligently reason with the person.

I'm still learning and still trying to come out of my sober shell. I was like this as a child, so it's me learning to get comfortable in my own skin and I know it's going to take a while.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I experienced that, sure.

But now, when I have those conversations, not only do I remember them and they make sense to me, they can often make a real difference, either in mine or the other person's understanding of the topic.

Now, when someone is clearly half in the bag, and they start talking that stuff, it lacks resonance and seems, well, more self centered, talking about self, but not really sharing self...

I don't know...

I am sure that many an issue has been discussed over a drink or two, topics with real import and meaning with new understanding and all. I can still take part those just fine, with my diet coke or a pot of oolong tea.

It wasn't happening too much at 2 months, well, with the exception of the sharing of experience, strength and hope in the fellowship of AA.

It will get better, I promise... but you may have to change people, places and things some.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the bottle I was so freindly but hardly remember a conversation. In nam I remember a bud who was so wasted he waked off a cliff but he got homed so who knows