Notices

Might Resign Today..Nervous

Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm was a Commercial Pilot for 12 years. Flying around the world continually risking lives in semi inebriated conditions, often actively enabled by the Company. In the end the stress and drinking were both insane.
I resigned and found a job replenishing shelves in a Pet Shop. Although the drinking continued to a lesser degree, I had much greater peace of mind.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Zee

Maybe you could give yourself a week... really try and look for a new job in that time. The company I worked for 11 yrs went bust and being unemployed kicked my confidence and increased my drinking to the point where I was hospitalised with liver disease. In this recession alot of people are hanging onto their jobs for dear life. Try not to rush into anything.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It sounds like you've made up your mind to pursue other options and I think that's great. "Don't be so busy making a living that you forget to make a life" comes to mind. I'm in Sales too and want out. It's so stressful not knowing when the next paycheck is coming, and having to kiss ass to everyone all the time. You'll feel such a sense of relief when the day is over, just breathe!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The issue is, I'm just sitting here at my "job", not making any money. Might as well spend my 8 hours a day looking for a salaried, stable position. I'm not making money here in sales anymore, I'm wasting time sitting here at my " job"
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Use the time you have between jobs to get solid in your recovery plan...Do you have one?...Otherwise you come right back to the same deal. Recovery takes work....I haven't met anyone yet...That just got "it".
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm going to go to aa, any other thoughts on what to put in my plan? Exercise..etc?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AA is a good start....What worked for me....Lots of meetings...Study the book...Find a sponsor to show you how it works....Work the steps. Here is a good site to look at. Use SR for online support...Good luck to you.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i thrive on routine at home. ( I do not use AA) I connect with people every day and parctice the attitude of gratitude (because it was so much worse when i was drinking and depressed).

maybe you want to map out some much needed work on the home, eat well, some mild exercise to start (since you are only on day 4) and try to NOT overwhelm yourself. you've been ILL, you need to rebuild your body and head too. find something pleasurable to enjoy everyday, even if it's just for an hour, treat yourself to it...(for me it's puzzles/scrabble...you can't spell if you're drunk)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Tough call. One that none of us have enough info to really provide meaningful input.
Plenty of threads offering support and they may be correct. If you don't mind, and since you asked, I might throw out a couple of alternative considerations just for thought:

Jobs are hard to find now, even harder if you are not currently employed. You may not be making money but you have a current emloyer to show on applications and your resume.

If money does get tight then that is stressful and may also be a trigger to drink.

Sitting at home with "nothing to do" is also a trigger for many and may lead to more drinking.

It does sound like a job change is in order. I just wonder if a more typical transition can be done while you are still in your current position to help minimize the risks outlined above. ??
Wishing you the best regardless of your decision.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I agree with silly.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am also in sales. If you are miserable you should leave. Find a job that is a better fit for you, whether it be in sales or not.