Notices

i want a drink

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i want a drink

I'm on day 12 and this is the first time I've really wanted to drink. I mean, I really, really want one. I had a really stressful day and I'm tired and wound up and I just want to relax. I know all the reasons not to do it. I could really use some encouragement right now.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't want a drink, your alcoholic demon does. I would try to separate those thoughts by calling it the demon alcohol.
Think through the drink. So you're tired and stressed. You have a drink. Then what happens? Is it worth the risk? Go into the chat room. Share your thoughts there and on here until the urge passes. Watch TV, play a computer game. But find something else to help calm your mind. A drink is not going to help!!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here are some ideas

Instead of saying I want a drink.

Say I want to get drunk, and hurt my body. I don't want to relax, I want to get drunk. I want to change the way I feel. I like the effects, or high that comes from booze. Be honest with yourself as to what "relax" really means.

I can't stand how I am feeling, so instead of doing something good for myself, I will drink.

I think you may realize how your idea is not a good idea if you get honest about what happens when you drink, if it is a problem for you like it is for me.

I told someone I wanted to drink and they said, don't say that. Say you have a craving to drink, but not that you want to drink.

You wouldn't be at SR if you really wanted to drink.

It's just a craving, and they pass.

DO something. Wash the dishes. Go for a walk.

Listen to an AA speaker. Call someone.

Sometimes it helps to go get with God. Go to a quiet place, breathe, pray, be still, rest, sleep if you can.

Wake up renewed.

What do we need to relax from...Life? Fear? Stress? Worry? Work?

Why is our solution to relax, something that hurts us and others?

Sugar, chocolate, hard candy, juices...honey...something sweet may help.

Eating a healthy dinner may help. Make a pot of coffee. Get out your AA big book if you have one and read.

When I want to drink, I am thinking of one person, ... me.

I have to think of my child. I can't just keep getting drunk.

Imagine how we need to relax, how our kiddos feel. They must need to relax too.

Instead of zoning out, we can join them, and relax together. Movie night!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ca,

Sorry to hear it's a tough day. I'm only on day 3 and it's been hard for me today also - a difficult, stressful day. I have been getting through the evening (my most difficult time) by doing everything I can to reduce the odds that I'll suddenly dash out to the wine shop. I've put on pajamas, washed my face and slathered on a green mud mask, made myself some tea, brushed my teeth, and am now reading and writing posts here. And the urge to drink is beginning to abate. Maybe some of these strategies could work for you also? Or something else?

In any case, good luck. I'm sure you can get through it. I've been so impressed by the SR community so far - there are so many people here who want to help and support.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can find other, healthy ways to relax and chill.

How about some good music? That usually helps me.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elderine View Post
Hi Ca,

Sorry to hear it's a tough day. I'm only on day 3 and it's been hard for me today also - a difficult, stressful day. I have been getting through the evening (my most difficult time) by doing everything I can to reduce the odds that I'll suddenly dash out to the wine shop. I've put on pajamas, washed my face and slathered on a green mud mask, made myself some tea, brushed my teeth, and am now reading and writing posts here. And the urge to drink is beginning to abate. Maybe some of these strategies could work for you also? Or something else?

In any case, good luck. I'm sure you can get through it. I've been so impressed by the SR community so far - there are so many people here who want to help and support.

I can see you with the mud mask! Thanks for the good idea. I am going to go give myself a facial as well! Time to take good care of ourselves!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is no way a drink will help with the stress, it may seem like it does but be assured you'll pay for it later in added stress. Keep on track, 12 days is a really good acomplishment.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ca

congratulations on 12 days. Sometimes, when I get the urge to drink, I look back over some of my old posts. It reminds me why I want to be sober and how good it feels when I don't drink. I also ask myself if I am hungry, just really tired, or feel alone. Then I either, eat, try to sleep, or call someone, or get on SR. Take care of yourself
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

elderine - that sounds just heavenly! i agree.... i think putting obstacles in front of dashing out to get something helps me too. and also if i can get past the store on the way home. i immediately put on my pj's and settle in with some beverage on the couch. i drink a lot of coffee with different flavorings and tea is good also.. there are tons of flavors to choose from.
ca - take a big hot bath... that's what i always do for stress.... with lots of bubbles
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Strange because on day 12 I had cravings badly as well...yesterday was day 14 and I didn't crave at all and not today either. Hopefully you will be feeling better tomorrow. AA meetings have really been helping me. I felt a lot better after I went on that awful day 12. Hang in there, tomorrow will be better!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just want to say you're not alone I'm dying right now and want to drink SO BADLY for no reason really other then I do.

1.5 hours until the store closes and I'm just trying to stay distracted. Tomorrow will be one week for me and your two days away from two weeks do you really want to blow that for one night?

Besides you won't feel any better you'll just feel regret and hung over in the morning wishing you didn't drink.

Read a book, watch a TV show, go for a run, call a friend, post replies here...the cravings do pass and you'll feel so much better in the morning if you get through tonight without a drink.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How many people wake up sober and wish they'd drank the night before? None I know of and certainly not me. Distract yourself until the craving passes. No good will come from drinking anyway and you know that.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

When it hit me really hard early on I found it helpful to express the craving. "I really want a drink right now...but I'm not going to have one...etc." Something about admitting it and stating the action I was taking instead worked for me. Also the philosophy "just not for today, maybe another time".
The another time hasn't come.

Good luck, hope you find the strength to resist!!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I needed this thread tonight as well. I had thoughts of wanting a drink. Thanks for the good suggestions.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i went 28 days and now i am back to my old habits. no sleep,heart racing,. please dont start.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Need to find something else to use to help with stress instead of an alcoholic drink.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard to find other ways to relax and destress ca...but you'll be so glad later you put in the effort to find healthy ways.

Exercise works really well for me

D
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope you're feeling better now, ca3726.

It helped me to consider what I craved: was it an idealized fantasy of what drinking used to be like, or was it the reality of my drinking (hint: no one in their right mind would crave the reality of my drinking). The feelings and experiences I craved were no longer possible for me; drinking was a source of fear and regret, not enjoyment or contentment. And that was really good to know, because it meant I wasn't missing out on anything. So now I just focus on other ways to quiet my mind—which is what I think most of us are really craving anyway.

Congrats on getting through those 12 days!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I got through the urges. I distracted myself with t.v. and thought about how much I would regret drinking. I think the hardest thing for me is that I hang out with my sister every day after work, and she is still drinking. She doesn't get out of control like I did, and I know drinking or not drinking is a decision she has to make for herself. Its just hard to see her with 3 or 4 drinks when I am having cravings. I guess I probably need to change up my routine and find other things to do in the evenings. Anyway, thanks for all of the support, I needed it badly tonight.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know it's hard to find other ways to relax and destress ca...but you'll be so glad later you put in the effort to find healthy ways.

Exercise works really well for me

D
Exercise - - with my favorite tunes in my ears - - is my release as well. I can only begin to describe how much better, fuller my life is since I quit drinking and started living.

Hang in there! At this point you've already noticed some of the benefits of not drinking. Trust me when I write that it just keeps getting better from here.