Notices

44 days sober and a momentary lapse in judgement...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

44 days sober and a momentary lapse in judgement...

Hey, everyone!

Just to illustrate one of the many ways addiction rears its ugly head, I have a little story for you all.

In 2011 I had approximately 9 months of sobriety (March-December). I had my cholesterol checked in October 2011 and was VERY disappointed to learn that it was up by nearly 20 points from the year before. I hadn't changed my eating habits at all. The only thing that I DID change was that I had quit drinking alcohol 7 months prior to this blood draw. Of course I attributed the spike in my levels due to my NOT drinking and I was ticked off.

Fast forward to THIS year, 2012. I just had my cholesterol checked, again (I'm required do this for health insurance purposes), and guess what? It DROPPED by 19 points! So, here I am thinking, "Once again, the only thing that I did differently than last year is that I WAS drinking alcohol during the months prior to this blood draw."

And then I started with the crazy self-talk, "Guess I need to start drinking, again, to keep my cholesterol low. Just one nice glass of red wine each evening should do the trick. Sure I can handle just one." That's when it dawned on me: this type of thinking is sooo irrational!!! Just an attempt to try to convince myself that I can drink, again, without any problem and keep it under control. Yeah, right!

Once I realized that I was being bat sh!t crazy in my thought process, I started researching cholesterol lowering vitamins that I could begin taking, instead. $135 later (thank you, Amazon, and 2 day shipping) I will be getting a whole slew of "veetamens" in the mail this Friday. Yeah for clarity and (eventual) logical reasoning!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ain't it fun the stuff we can convince ourselves of
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saliena View Post
Ain't it fun the stuff we can convince ourselves of
I've always said I can talk myself into (or out of) ANYTHING!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I tried convincing myself that using more would cure me of the paranoia caused by my using :rotfxko
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

that sure is crazy thinking. Ok, I'll drink to lower my cholesterol. In the meantime, I'll ruin my liver, heart, brain, and just about everything in my life.

I've had the same crazy thoughts. Our alcoholic demon wants to drink. It'll say anything to try to get us to pick up!

Glad you talked yourself out of that one!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I have definitely had thoughts along those lines! It's amazing, they seem to sneak up out of nowhere... All rational thought goes out of the window! x
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for talking yourself through that issue, and I hope you have good results with the vitamins.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It probably went up because you were eating more when you quit. Vitamins should make you feel better too-good luck!