Notices

Hi, I'm new!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Btw, I see that I have titled my post 'Typo' which I had intended as a reason for my edit rather than a title, however approriate. Good day, again, all, off to work on my typing
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ricmcc View Post
Hence my sense of cautious optimism about the possibility that life can be enjoyed rather than endured--
thank you for your post and motivation ricmcc,

I certainly can resonate with the above quote.

I'm starting day 10 ( double digits woohoo! )

Things are starting to get a little easier on one front, but more difficult on others-

Losing alot of cravings now, i look at alcohol as something that i really feel i dont need right now, don't want to feel the numbness anymore, my senses and feelings have started to return which is wonderful... BUT!!!

Have got to start getting my life back on track too, have both very important meetings coming up, with my ex girlfriend and at work too. I have mentally prepared myself for bad news on both fronts and got to stay strong if things don't go how I want them to. My little AV keeps jumping out of his box everytime I think of disappointments, don't suppose anybody has a padlock or a gag handy?!

Also have had massive problems sleeping over the last 2 days, tossing and turning, wide awake but unbelievably tired, sleeping for an hour or so at any one time. Any ideas (roughly) how long i have to endure this?! I know a joint would send me to sleep, but by doing that, i'm totally missing the point of detoxing.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello John,
So how is it going now? I like you live in Thailand...but not on a small island...but the big city of Chaing Mai.....
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Stewart,

Not been up to chaing mai, but i hear its very nice! I'm down south in Koh Tao (next to Samui )

On day 16, still no beer! It gets alot easier after the first week, still have the devil on my shoulder and in my mind saying that there's nothing to worry about and that its ok to have a beer now, but i know better than that! been keeping busy by going to the gym to take my mind off things and also to help me sleep.
Hope you are doing well.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnthediver View Post
Thanks everyone.

Don't think i'm anywhere a face to face program, I live on a small island in Thailand unfortunately.
I don't really have any type of plan either, i was just going to try to get through this myself (and now with you guys!) by going cold turkey. Obviously I need to change some of my habits such as going for an after work beer and things, I've been keeping out the way of any social events as i don't think i can really be strong enough to sit around whilst everyone drinks. I was with one of my friends who was drinking yesterday and i kept looking at his beer thinking- that looks nice. Its the cravings that are getting bad, i'm determined to get through this though so am not going to cave in. Any ideas on how long these cravings last for, that's what i'm struggling with most, i'm sure its different for everyone but a general figure would be great so i can try to work towards something.
I tried several times to do it myself (unsuccessfully). This time I am working with my doctor, a counselor and going to meetings. Talk to your doctor about the cravings, they might be able to help. This is only day two for me, so you should feel great about day 5. I am just determined not to have to post Day one (again). Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you are doing on SR!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, have got enough on my plate just concentrating on the babysteps
I am right there with you. I think all we can focus on and be grateful for are the baby steps. I am looking forward to when you hit one week, then one month, because I will know I will be there in three days.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

welcome

hey welcome to the site
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

still have the devil on my shoulder and in my mind saying that there's nothing to worry about and that its ok to have a beer now,
Dealing with that voice is one of the more difficult things, i just take some moments to remember my last hangover in detail and the feelings i went through and it soon shuts up .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Screwed up

I'm sorry, I messed up last night. I can't remember much after 11pm but I woke this morning knowing I'd done something wrong.

I feel so empty inside. I can't believe I'm in this situation again - I was sober for 3 weeks but the cravings got to me.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi John
Koh Samui have AA meetings. Check online. I have lived in Asia 11 years, got sober here with the support of AA and SR.
I would highly recommend getting into some face to face with sober people, at least give it a try. I made sobriety my number one priority, it still is.

All the best John.
CaiHong
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone-

Well, looks like i'm back here again.

I managed to control my drinking for a good few months where i didnt touch a drop, things were good, no hangovers, no feeling rough.
Then i thought that a glass of wine with my partner on a night out or a celebration was no issue. That turned to us going out more and therefore drinking more, which then went to getting drinks to have at home while we had dinner, which went to going to the bar on the way home from work, then from the bar to the supermarket on the way home, to the point where everything spun out of control and before i knew it i was back where i was nearly 2 years ago.
I'm on day 5 again today, things are a little tough, i went back through this thread and its like a mirror, i know exactly how hard the next month, and following months are going to be, so i came back here for a little moral support if any one has any spare!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone- Well, looks like i'm back here again. I managed to control my drinking for a good few months where i didnt touch a drop, things were good, no hangovers, no feeling rough. Then i thought that a glass of wine with my partner on a night out or a celebration was no issue. That turned to us going out more and therefore drinking more, which then went to getting drinks to have at home while we had dinner, which went to going to the bar on the way home from work, then from the bar to the supermarket on the way home, to the point where everything spun out of control and before i knew it i was back where i was nearly 2 years ago. I'm on day 5 again today, things are a little tough, i went back through this thread and its like a mirror, i know exactly how hard the next month, and following months are going to be, so i came back here for a little moral support if any one has any spare!!!
I think that everything can seem fine so the forever addicted brain cells start telling us "go ahead.. It's ok, have a drink.." But the truth is it's never the same. Once a pickle.... Unfortunately. I'm almost at a month and I'm so deeply motivated to keep going by the truth of some sort of permanent change that occurs very slowly and sneakily.. You can do this! Know it will be challenging at times and have a plan.