Notices

Day 10 - feel drunk??

Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 - feel drunk??

I've been tee total for nearly a week and a half, and throughout the afternoon and evening I've increasingly felt drunk even though I swear I haven't touched a drop of alcohol. By evening time I feel almost a little giddy. Am I overreacting? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm getting the occasional headache and lots of strange cravings, like lots of sugar and chocolate, and I don't mind eating extra as I'm a little underweight anyway. But last night I think I was tipsy, almost drunk and I haven't drank for several days. Even now I feel as if I've drank half a beer within the last 30 minutes. Is the alcohol still leaving my body after all this time or is this what you call 'dry drunk' or what?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I had a few times like that, but it was just for a day here and there or when I was lacking sleep (like I am now).
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, yeah I had the same and also had a feeling of numbness to my face, mainly cheeks. I'm 31 days sober now and drunk feeling and sugar cravings have pretty much gone.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I've been sleeping through the roof lately, same here with the numbness of the face too. early days I suppose
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I felt like this a lot when I stopped using. I also had some very vivid using dreams. When I woke up I felt like I had been using. Luckily they started getting very infrequent and I haven't had one for ages now. It's all part of the course.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
I felt like this a lot when I stopped using. I also had some very vivid using dreams. When I woke up I felt like I had been using. Luckily they started getting very infrequent and I haven't had one for ages now. It's all part of the course.
Yeh, I'm guessing my brain is so wired into the sensation of drinking that its trained to expect being drunk. Last night was strange, I seriously felt as if I'd had a few drinks or I was drinking automatically as usual. But I haven't touched a drop for days.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Yeah the feeling is weird isn't it. I remember getting the feelings and asking a couple of people about it. They just reassured me that it was normal and that they would pass. They DO pass. Your body just isn't used to being sober and is probably expecting you to get loaded. Just try and take it easy and busy yourself when you feel a bit weird.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had that HillOH - I felt foggy and giddy for sure for the first week or so, but not in any sense drunk, so I have no experience to share.

If it's worrying you it might be good to go see a Dr?

D
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hillOH View Post
Yeh, I'm guessing my brain is so wired into the sensation of drinking that its trained to expect being drunk. Last night was strange, I seriously felt as if I'd had a few drinks or I was drinking automatically as usual. But I haven't touched a drop for days.
I've had the same thing. Feels really odd. Had a phantom 'hangover' yesterday too, headache and all - hardly seems fair!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today is day 10 for me as well. I haven't felt drunk since I quit drinking, but I did wake up with the mother of all hangovers this morning. The only problem is that I didn't drink last night to deserve it today. I guess it is my body still revolting against me for taking the alcohol away from it.

Great job BTW on 10 days! Keep up the good work.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hill- I felt like I had been drinking those first 2 weeks myself. I also had the opposite symptom a few times of feeling like someone spiked my coffee with a stimulant, I was buzzing around, restless, etc...

32 days and I am still experiencing some forms of dextox, especially my stomach.
I talked to someone at AA who said he didn't start to really feel better "physically" for about 90 days.

The alcohol is out of the body, but the damage it did to our bodies, requires time to heal.

You are doing great! Hang in there. "This too shall pass!"