SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Huge step (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/269746-huge-step.html)

copperfield 10-01-2012 03:48 PM

Huge step

apologies - I think I posted this in the wrong forum before:

TODAY WAS A FIRST FOR ME!!!
So I have tried on and off for a year to quit - I do ok, I fail, I do great, I fail great, etc, etc....throughout last year I checked out some AA meetings and found one in particular that I really liked the vibe of. It happened to be on a Monday - so I havent had a drink in two days and I thought, well why not check out that meeting again. I really would like to quit quit but I definitely am hearing my av knocking on my problems...anyway I went to the meeting and really enjoyed it..then I went up after the meeting and asked a member who introduced himself (I'd seen him at other meetings) for a 24 hour commitment medallion - that is huge for me to even speak to someone never mind ask for it - well I got it!!!!!!!!
I've held onto it tight all day - now I am getting ready to play a gig (I am a musician) at my local pub - hope I can fulfill the meaning of the commitment and come home sober tonight to SR.

I am very proud though for going to the meeting and getting the medallion - well, off I go for my night

Sapling 10-01-2012 04:09 PM

That's a great start....Maybe next meeting you can ask him about finding a sponsor. Good job...And congrats on getting the medallion...It's the most important one.

IWillWin 10-01-2012 04:15 PM

👍good for you copperfield! One day at a time...have a great and sober gig!!

Dee74 10-01-2012 04:38 PM

Congratulations!
Have a great sober gig Copperfield - stay focused and true and you can totally do this :)

(and yeah I nuked that other thread :))

D

copperfield 10-01-2012 06:55 PM

I MADE IT THROUGH THE GIG!!! ehhh it wasnt fun unfortunately and I couldnt wait to get off stage - a ton of anxiety and such but....I DID IT!!! NOW IM HOME, SOBER AND ON SR, THANK YOU SR!!!!!!

GottaWonder 10-01-2012 06:57 PM

Nice job copperfield. Taking on a new commitment while working a pub is HUGE! Congratulations!

elderine 10-01-2012 06:59 PM

Awesome! congratulations! I have a hard time *attending* a show sober, never mind playing one in that state. Well done!

Impurrfect 10-01-2012 07:04 PM

Way to GO ((Copperfield))!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

copperfield 10-01-2012 07:06 PM

Thank you everyone - means so much to read all your supportive messages!!!!!!!!!!!!
Impurrfect I like you cat pics!!! I have a tuxedo Cat!!!

IndaMiricale 10-01-2012 07:09 PM

That is just aweosme... :)

You did great. Sorry the anxiety got to you a bit, but that really will fade in time...

I have some one from here that is a musician leading for me on thursday BBThumper.. He has 5 years , and struggled with playing at first too.

Keep going and growing in AA.. :)

KaeHot323 10-01-2012 07:11 PM

Congrats on making it through..what a huge accomplishment!! Everyday and every hour sober is a success!

Quinne 10-01-2012 07:13 PM

Well done! The excitement in your first post was almost tangible :) Keep it up :D

debsam 10-01-2012 07:14 PM

What a great post to read before closing my sober eyes for the night ;)

Good stuff Copperfield!!!

NoFireWater 10-01-2012 08:20 PM

Welcome Copperfield! Check out Sentso's posts, he's a musician and is doing very well in his recovery-maybe you can relate to some of his posts from early on :)

Mizzuno 10-01-2012 08:53 PM

Wonderful! Good for you Copperfield.

justhadenough 10-01-2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by NoFireWater (Post 3604223)
Welcome Copperfield! Check out Sentso's posts, he's a musician and is doing very well in his recovery-maybe you can relate to some of his posts from early on :)

Well done Copperfield:You_Rock_

Hi NFW-hope you are well, I thought of Sentso too when I read this! If you look in the July 2012 thread copperfield you can see his story

MyTimeNow 10-02-2012 12:28 AM

Great stuff Copperfield! Really pleased for you!

I echo the others with checking out Sentso's posts, managed to quit whilst on tour, pretty awesome :)

IndaMiricale 10-02-2012 12:57 AM

Keep going strong :)

Wolfram 10-02-2012 02:53 AM

My humble congratz to you copperfield!! I know how hard it must have been. You have courage!

Wolfram