Notices

opiate withdrawal day 2 and dragging..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

opiate withdrawal day 2 and dragging..

Im new to this.. I've actually been reading on this site for a few months but never posted until today.. Here's a little background- im 22, married to my best friend and we have a 3 year old little angel. Both my husband and I have been battling these evil pills for almost 3 years now. We even relocated 6 hours away from where we grew up in hopes of losing all our pill connects. Well, now we know that pills are everywhere. And actually easy to locate. Needless to say we stayed sober after moving for about 4 months-looking back it was the best months of our relationship. But we were sucked in again and here I am, desperate to get out from under this evil pill spell. We are both doing this cold turkey together which is extremely difficult considering we are experiencing terrible irritability and cold shakes and insomnia, diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea.. We are not financially able to take time off work and my husband also goes to school full time while working full time as well.. Im trying to battle these withdraw symptoms with high doses of B vitamins and red bull but not much improvement there.. I wanna use so bad just to make it all stop so I can be mommy to my little girl. But I know it will never get better if I do. What can I do to feel better? Please help!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've come of opiates a few times, and when you say "evil pills" I'm assuming opiates. It takes 5-10 days to feel close to normal depending on your usage and drug of choice. Oxycodone seemed to be sharper onset but lasted just a few days, where as hydrocodone or a combo always took me closer to 7 days. Day 2-3 seemed to be the worst though, with each day after that getting better.

I can't give medical advice since I'm not a doctor, but I did treat my diarrhea with OTC Immodium and the leg pain/restless leg stuff with ibuprofen and hot showers and hot soaks in the tub. However, if you got kidney issues then see a doctor before you take ibuprofen.

Truly the only cure is time. You can go to a doctor and they can give you some things to ease the symptoms but a lot of the common stuff the give can have its own addictive side. But you have to keep an eye on your blood pressure because mine always sky-rocketed. Go to the ER immediately if that happens!

You mentioned you were drinking Red Bull. I found caffeine made my symptoms worse. However, I did drink "Sleepy Time" tea to help calm my nerves and help me get a little sleep.

I know its tough right now, but IT WILL PASS with time. I know what it's like to feel like crap and have kids to take care of and such. Just keep in mind that if you're not super mom today that's ok. Quitting pills is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family, and in a few weeks you'll be so glad you did. Then you will be a true super mom!

Being dope sick is like a really bad case of the flu. Treat it as such. If you have someone to watch you little girl for a couple days, have them do it. Tell them you have the flu and don't want her getting sick like you are. You won't have to stretch the truth too much because you'll look like you have the flu.

With all that being said, the thing that always helped me most was not thinking about what was happening. I tried to keep my mind off the withdrawals by watching tons of comedy shows and stuff. I also walked as much as I could because it seemed to calm my legs down. But most importantly is simply forget about pills. They are no longer an option. Tell yourself that they don't exist in your world anymore. They are a thing of the past...just like these withdrawals will be in a week or two. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in my 3rd day and it is getting a little better so hang in there
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement, it really helps to know im not alone here. Pain pills are not an option for me anymore. I know if I don't keep on keeping on this loooong road to recovery now, it will be so much tougher later. I feel the worst of these withdrawal symptoms is the urge to grind my teeth.. My jaws hurt from grinding them in my sleep (im guessing that's why they hurt so bad this morning). Unfortunately i have noone to watch my little girl, but it will be ok. I've just been telling myself i have the flu and i will get better.. My biggest battle is in my head-that little voice saying"if you just take one hydro it will make all the pain go away" but it's never JUST ONE, so ill continue fighting for sobriety. Hopefully by wed I'll feel somewhat better to go to work. And hoping it gets better everyday. Again, thanks for the encouragement. Means a lot.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If anyone knows of any herbal supplements or anything to ease the suffering please share with me.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi & welcome evilpills

I'm glad you've found us.

I have no experience to share....but I do recommend you also check out our substance abuse forum...you'll find a lot of experience and support there too

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Have you thought of maybe finding other support as well? NA or some other recovery programme?

D
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I guess I failed.. I bought 2 methadone 10 mg which I've split in half. I took a half (5 mg) yesterday to ease the suffering and get my head out of the toilet long enough to cook supper. I will not allow myself more than the 5 mg a day until they are gone. The suffering is so intense and although I cannot tell I've taken anything ( I still feel terrible) at least im not dying in the bathroom all day. Im going to buy the Thomas recipe today (all but the xanax) and I will start that tomorrow. Here's to hoping.