Notices

Ashamed..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Ashamed..

It was my 3rd time going into a rehab, that was going to be it.. I was going to complete the program and my life would get better..

The place I was at was much different from the 1st rehab I went to, it was more hospital like.. hospitals freak me out, being around so many peers that I dont know freaks me out, I could tell I wasn't comfortable there from the moment I got there, but I told myself I would stick it out..

By the 3rd day there I completely lost it. Started having a really bad panic attack while I was around everyone, I tried to keep it unnoticed.. I just sat there and dug into recent cuts that I had on my arm with my finger nail, while my heart pounded and could barely breathe.. I ended up running back into my room and freaking out.. I'm not going to go into full detail about it, but they ended up sending me to the hospital and told me not to come back..

I can't believe I'm home already. I did DXM last night. I've been not talking to anyone because I feel so ashamed and embarrassed that this has happened AGAIN. I feel like I've let my family down and people in NA down.. And I know the real shame is to not get back up and try again but I'm at the point where the fear of failure is hindering me from trying. I know I need to get to NA, suck it up and explain to everyone.. it just hurts.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not easy Jake...But those people in NA have been there...They'll help you. They won't judge you.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jake - I don't have any experience with NA but if it is anything like AA you will be welcome back with open arms and tons of support. Go. Reach out. Ask for the help you need and most importantly, take it.

Wishing you strength and success!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You haven't let anyone down Jake...anyone who knows, understands.
So that place wasn't a good fit for you...

Get back to NA. Look at what other alternatives you have.

This isn't the end, it's just the first hurdle. Pick yourself up

D
Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They don't shoot their wounded Jake .....x
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember being in the recovery home in 1989. Heart pounding, knees weak and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack.

I made the promise to myself and to God that I was going to stay at the home and if I died of a heart attack it would be on the floor of the group room and not the floor of a bar someplace.

You are going to have to surrender, Jake. Can you call them back and ask to be re-admitted?
If you are like me, and I believe you are, you need the rehab time to get you on the right track.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Tried everything I could think of AA/NA was the only thing that worked
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jake, I do hope you do not give up.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Relapse sucks , and most of us know it to well..

But recovery is so sweet, just dont quit on yourself. Get back to NA and re-introduce yourself..
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jake, Everyone's right - don't be so hard on yourself. Obviously, you couldn't control what happened. They will all understand.

Give it another shot - it sounds like you're really ready to do this, and we know you can. That bad experience will become a dim memory as you reclaim your life and begin to heal.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jake I am coming out of a relapse that lasted just a few days. I felt terrible and was mad and dissapointed at myself but fessing up here and to my recovery buddy took care of the the shame. If NA has helped you in the past, by all means return. The support of fellow sufferes is crucial, whether face to face or online.

The only thing you should feel shameful about is not trying again.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Hey Jake, old Japanese proverb:

Success is falling down 9 times, but getting up 10.

Keep at it mate. I'm an AA'er and was beginning to think of myself as a serial buster. But I kept coming back, and the folks kept welcoming me. It's the only thing has kept me sober for any length of time, and I'm surrounded by folks who know what I'm going through. There may be some who give you the cold shoulder, but the one's who had the same struggles you're currently having, they're the ones who'll really help you.

Cheers dude.