Notices

Hi there - why I am doing this to myself?

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there - why I am doing this to myself?

Hi all. I seriously need help. On paper life is amazing. I am married to a lovely man, I have two wonderful children. We have no financial worries. Yet getting tipsy (and now drunk) rules my life. Why? To be fair it always has done. I am 39. Even as a teen I used to love getting drunk. I love the feel of letting go. I hate the feeling of waking up feeling crap and agonising over what I might have said to someone. More importantly, I worry about my health. How can I stop?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Each recovery starts with one day.

Today can be your day.

We stop drinking, we get rid of any alcohol that is in our home. We ask for help. We seek recovery programs if we are open to them.

Alcoholics Anonymous has been very helpful for me.

There are many, many women of AA that you could reach out to, and could give you guidance and direction.

I would suggest that you research the AA information for your area. We stay sober together. We accomplish together what we can not do alone.

I come to SR every day and it is so helpful to be connected here to people in recovery. If you need any help, you can pm me anytime.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scarlett, Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.

You can stop by not drinking today. Get rid of the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. It takes a lot of changing in order to recover. You might need to change friends, places, activities, anything that involved drinking. There is lots of support here and we do understand how hard it is.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scarlett, I know it's hard. I loved the feeling alcohol gave me, until I started to need to drink just to feel normal and alcohol completely took over my life. I strongly recommend giving AA a try. You can do this, and you will love your life sober. Keep posting!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Scarlett,

You're entire post summed up how I've been feeling and living with alcohol. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Scarlett!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Scarlett,your story is similar to mine. Life really is better sober. Just try notto drink today and read SR
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to SR, Scarlett, congratulations on the realization that you need to change things in your life.

We can get stuck on trying to decide how to stop drinking, when it can be very very simple. If you drink when alcohol is around like I did, don't be around alcohol. Get rid of it, pouring it down the toilet seemed to be appropriate for me. All of it. Get rid of the empties too. Be aware of situations where there is alcohol around and prepare yourself to accept 'No drinks for you'. Do things that non drinkers do, whatever you think that might be.

This above all, Scarlett, beiieve that you deserve so much more out of this life ahead of you, and those that love you deserve so much more out of you. It is time to start believing in yourself. You can quit drinking if you choose to. Best to you.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Yes it is possible to quit drinking and have a happy life again - I did.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scarlett
There's some great advice here

SR really helped me stop and stay stopped - there's something about being part of a community, knowing you're not alone, and feeling accountable that really resonated with me

I know we can help you turn your life around too - welcome aboard!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you all so much. I know I can do this. I found myself hiding a bottle of wine that I had finished yesterday from my husband which is why I sought help. I stayed awake until 3am last night pondering life. I haven't yet told my husband that I think I have a problem though, and I don't want to. I don't want it to be a 'thing'. I was hoping to just stop. He drinks too much too, but seems better at controlling it than me. I guess admitting to him is half the battle though.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To add - I am in the UK. It is mid morning here¬
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

No matter your location or time zone, there is almost always a lively discussion in the chat room. Some of us are sober, others are trying to get that way. Feel free to join any time for some real time support.